Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower step 1?
You don't know OHSU intern's Step 1 score, pubs, away performance.
How beneficial would a research gap year be for someone with a low step 1 score?
I had a terrible test day and landed a 219, about 20-30 points lower than expected from practice tests. My plan is to kill Step 2, honor as many clinicals, and take a research year to get more pubs and network. Right now I have 6 publications (3 first author), other posters/presentations, and a research-based Masters completed. No home program unfortunately, but I have connections with a nearby program. Would it be worthwhile to go for this research year? Even with that I'll likely apply for gen surg as well as backup.
(07-14-2019, 12:01 PM)Guest Wrote: How beneficial would a research gap year be for someone with a low step 1 score?
I had a terrible test day and landed a 219, about 20-30 points lower than expected from practice tests. My plan is to kill Step 2, honor as many clinicals, and take a research year to get more pubs and network. Right now I have 6 publications (3 first author), other posters/presentations, and a research-based Masters completed. No home program unfortunately, but I have connections with a nearby program. Would it be worthwhile to go for this research year? Even with that I'll likely apply for gen surg as well as backup.

Having a score that low and no home program is a pretty big uphill climb.

I would do at least 5 aways, and do everything you can to get a mentor (preferably a chair or PD) to call places for you. Your problem is you will be filtered out by step score. Sub-i at low to mid tier places and perform really well, that's your best shot, not necessarily taking a year off to get more pubs.
(07-14-2019, 01:16 PM)IGuest Wrote:
(07-14-2019, 12:01 PM)Guest Wrote: How beneficial would a research gap year be for someone with a low step 1 score?

I would do at least 5 aways, and do everything you can to get a mentor (preferably a chair or PD) to call places for you. Your problem is you will be filtered out by step score. Sub-i at low to mid tier places and perform really well, that's your best shot, not necessarily taking a year off to get more pubs.

Are there schools that even allow 5 aways?
The only way to do 5 aways would be to do a research year after M3, having taken Step2CK right after M3. Then coming off your research year do aways June-October.

I would do your research year at a program that would consider you for residency as well. If you go to a highly research oriented program for your research year, you might get several papers and a nice letter but the mid and top tier programs won't consider you with that score.
(07-14-2019, 05:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-14-2019, 01:16 PM)IGuest Wrote:

Are there schools that even allow 5 aways?

My school will, but you wouldn’t get any credit for the last two as you could only do 3 months in one specialty but they would allow you to do extra rotations that counted as your vacation time.
Thank you all for the input, I appreciate the advice.
Do programs consider all scores within the 240-250 range the same? Would a 242 weigh the same as a 247 or are scores higher than 245 "more competitive" for screening purposes?
(07-15-2019, 06:44 AM)Guest Wrote: Do programs consider all scores within the 240-250 range the same? Would a 242 weigh the same as a 247 or are scores higher than 245 "more competitive" for screening purposes?

it's the same shit unless you are identical or similar to another candidate and step 1 score may be a tie break. To be honest if a program really wants you, they would call your references
I haven't heard of a cutoff for interview greater than 240. Usually PDs have some type of scoring system for boards, research, letters, etc to quantify applicants before formulating a rank list. I don't think having a 270 gets you bonus points.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)