Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 2 CK
No, all that matters is your Step 1 score. It is basically your application
i just took my step 2ck today and i feel like i absolutely did horrible on it. i have a subpar step 1 (238) and after this i feel like i might be around a 220 for step 2ck. should i just give up on pursuing neurosurgery? what can i do?
no don't give up, stay focused on your dreams. i matched to a top program with a sub 200 score. keep pushing Smile
(06-08-2017, 11:50 PM)Guest Wrote: no don't give up, stay focused on your dreams. i matched to a top program with a sub 200 score. keep pushing Smile

I got my score today - 242! It's not great but I didn't fail!
Per my schools PD at a good midwest program: >250 on step 1 or step 2 gets you over the score hurdle for an interview. He said he doesn't put much weight on one test or the other and will considering interviewing anyone who meets this bench mark. Obviously, if you completely bomb one of them this may not apply.
I'm so glad your PD selects his candidates based on a 6 hour exam. He must be a very academic fella who values research and hard work. And this must be a top tier program. Not really, more likely a bottom barrel that only puts out private practice general nsgs. Hence his infatuation with the most unreliable part of an application
(08-13-2017, 11:04 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm so glad your PD selects his candidates based on a 6 hour exam.  He must be a very academic fella who values research and hard work.  And this must be a top tier program.  Not really, more likely a bottom barrel that only puts out private practice general nsgs.  Hence his infatuation with the most unreliable part of an application

Troll much? Haha you're kind of intense. This is a forum about step scores, which makes up only one aspect of the application as you so astutely pointed out. People obsess over what score is considered high. He considers >250 high. Plenty of people get interviews and match with sub 250 scores. Take a deep breath and relax.
The NRMP PD survey refers to "scores below which programs generally do not offer interviews" and "scores above which programs generally always offer interviews". A score >250 at my program refers to the latter. It's not a screening threshold.
Does anyone know if any programs REQUIRE step 2 CK to look at your application? I am thinking about taking mine late so I don't have to cram it in, but I really don't want to have any programs exclude me right off the bat. I have gotten SO MUCH mixed advice on this.
(02-25-2020, 09:53 PM)Guest Wrote: Does anyone know if any programs REQUIRE step 2 CK to look at your application? I am thinking about taking mine late so I don't have to cram it in, but I really don't want to have any programs exclude me right off the bat. I have gotten SO MUCH mixed advice on this.

Most programs don't require it and won't even ask. There are exceptions tho such as the DC programs.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)