Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drinking on trail
(11-12-2018, 01:02 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 05:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 04:21 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 01:17 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 01:06 AM)Guest Wrote: Truthfully - no one cares. Drink a responsible amount and don't show up to the interview with a hang over. The residents will probably drink more because this is the only time we really all get to hang out together. If you do not match or do not get ranked by a program, it likely has nothing to do with whether or not you had a beer or whiskey drink.

Remember, all of you guys are smart. Most programs are looking for responsible candidates with good judgment and who know their own limit. Also, if you have an interview, your steps scores now mean as much as that cocktail napkin you just put your drink on - be normal and do not be a pompous dick.

- Advice from a resident

I second this as a resident. Drink whatever amount you can drink without it compromising your judgement or leading to poor decisions. Unless you are a heavy drinker and that number is really high. Certainly pounding down drinks when no one else is will come off as concerning. Neurosurgery has a history of rampant alcoholism/substance abuse and people are sensitive to that fact. On the other hand some people might think you are a little uptight if you dont drink at all.

I'm an alcoholic, and no longer drink. Are you saying not drinking will come off in a negative way?

No one would be offended or care if you do not drink. Just be normal in all other aspects and things will be fine

most attendings will not feel comfortable with a vegetarian or non-drinker as a resident. u can fake it with a coke with a lime i guess
I guess that's why there are two competing mafias.. The old white-guy society and the brown people.

Personally, I don't drink or eat meat, and it's from religious convictions.  If they give me a hard time, I call them out on their own beliefs and bury them with theology they don't understand.  I got my PhD from Oxford in religious studies, during my Rhodes, prior to my run for Congress and short-lived professional athletics/Broadway musical stint. 

Just be comfortable in being yourself.
This ^
(11-12-2018, 12:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 01:17 PM)Guest Wrote: I second this as a resident. Drink whatever amount you can drink without it compromising your judgement or leading to poor decisions. Unless you are a heavy drinker and that number is really high. Certainly pounding down drinks when no one else is will come off as concerning. Neurosurgery has a history of rampant alcoholism/substance abuse and people are sensitive to that fact. On the other hand some people might think you are a little uptight if you dont drink at all.

I'm an alcoholic, and no longer drink. Are you saying not drinking will come off in a negative way?

No one would be offended or care if you do not drink. Just be normal in all other aspects and things will be fine

most attendings will not feel comfortable with a vegetarian or non-drinker as a resident. u can fake it with a coke with a lime i guess
I guess that's why there are two competing mafias.. The old white-guy society and the brown people.

Personally, I don't drink or eat meat, and it's from religious convictions.  If they give me a hard time, I call them out on their own beliefs and bury them with theology they don't understand.  I got my PhD from Oxford in religious studies, during my Rhodes, prior to my run for Congress and short-lived professional athletics/Broadway musical stint. 

But trump is a teetotaler?!?
(11-11-2018, 01:17 PM)Guest Wrote: I second this as a resident. Drink whatever amount you can drink without it compromising your judgement or leading to poor decisions. Unless you are a heavy drinker and that number is really high. Certainly pounding down drinks when no one else is will come off as concerning. Neurosurgery has a history of rampant alcoholism/substance abuse and people are sensitive to that fact. On the other hand some people might think you are a little uptight if you dont drink at all.

No one cares about the Rhodes anymore, good luck matching with that as your talking point
(11-12-2018, 06:25 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 04:21 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm an alcoholic, and no longer drink. Are you saying not drinking will come off in a negative way?

But trump is a teetotaler?!?
Point proven. Trump would only be an average spine surgeon. Make Neurosurgery Great Again.
non-drinker/vag*
As an attending who goes to every interview dinner, the only red flag for me is when candidates drink too much, start throwing down shots and often few start talking about the days when they used to party everyday.
(11-13-2018, 06:37 PM)Guest Wrote: As an attending who goes to every interview dinner, the only red flag for me is when candidates drink too much, start throwing down shots and often few start talking about the days when they used to party everyday.

Since when do attendings go to the interview dinner
(11-14-2018, 12:13 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 06:37 PM)Guest Wrote: As an attending who goes to every interview dinner, the only red flag for me is when candidates drink too much, start throwing down shots and often few start talking about the days when they used to party everyday.

Since when do attendings go to the interview dinner

I've been to 2 interviews where attendings either showed up briefly or were a part of the dinner.
Call me an old salty dog, but I have seen everything.. When I was interviewing, I saw both residents, and applicants over indulge. Notable incidents were two residents nearly getting in a fist-fight, and another occasion where the guy who would have ben my chief got black-out drunk, and his co-chief to be saying, "he's off service, turns it off when he's on service." More than once I saw an applicant either, not show up the next day because they were so hung over, show up late and looking like hell, or throw up during interviews. As a resident on the interviewing side, these stories continued. After all, it is 7 years. While my program, there was not much hostility between residents, and we managed to keep it "within the family," applicants, at times, would let loose. As an attending, it only continues. I have worked with other attendings in my department, or others, who struggled from substance use and/or abuse, or dependency issues. Again, notable stories: I have worked with multiple, multiple exceptional anesthesiologists, CRNAs, AAs, who suddenly disappeared only to find out they showed up to work drunk, were manipulating the system and abusing things like fentanyl or diprovan. I, personally, took care of a CRNA, who I respected very much because of our work together, who underwent a spine fusion, but ended up tubed in the ICU for a bit because of DTs and drinking a gallon of vodka a day at home. That is not even mentioning my partners or colleagues who have had issues. I have seen anyone from the young buck, rocketing to the stars attending to the program director/chairman fall from these types of issues.

Gents. Friends. Students. We, as a field, medicine, are not immune from these things. If you have an issue, or develop an issue, I hope you are at a program that is compassionate and wants to help a colleague. All too often, in this day, the individual, in their time of deepest need, is left abandoned. Jobless. Friendless. Though, hopefully, not quite futureless.

We used to sweep these things under the rug. Give someone a stern talking to. Take them out to the wood shed and so forth. Anymore, that's not an option. If you show up to work intoxicated, you likely will lose your medical license. If you're a big drinker, even on your weekends off, it will be noted, and you may be faulted for it.

For those worried, there are resources. The first step is acknowledging. Most states have a state medical society, and a diversion program. It will not be comfortable, and may save your license. In the former stated cased (intoxication at work), you may be forced/strongly recommended to comply with the program. In the latter (partying too much), if you can address the issue prior to the need, you may be fine. Demonstrated interest in betterment, and working with your program and/or the GME may be necessary if they decide to become involved.

I do not pretend to have answers, only observations.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)