Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do third year grades really matter?
(08-26-2019, 09:53 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 09:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 07:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys, how does this change for individuals with a lower step 1 (between 220-230) but with top notch research? Thanks!

You're in a tough place unless you have a PhD with basic science papers in top journals. Academically, you need to redeem yourself with flawless clerkship performances and a strong CK score.

Thanks for the reply! Should I bother applying? Clinical grades mostly pass (haven’t don’t surgery yet). I do have first-author basic science neurosurgery papers in decent journals though. Also have significant research with a really well known “top surgeon.” The things that are holding me back are 220-230 step 1 and lackluster clinical grades so far. Sad

Talk to your mentor. If s/he believes you're a reasonable applicant then apply. You'll need 4 SubIs and apply to every program.
With a mid-240's step score + 8 pubs, could you afford to not honor in surgery?
Yes you could but every strike against you counts relative to a better version of your own application
(08-27-2019, 09:24 AM)Guest Wrote: With a mid-240's step score + 8 pubs, could you afford to not honor in surgery?

I don't think not honoring surgery or neurology is a red flag unless your SubI performance is also underwhelming.
Not honoring isn't going to cause you to not match, but it will likely move you a couple of spots lower on certain rank lists. Towards the top of the rank lists of good programs applicants are all impressive, and not honoring certain rotations is a way to stand out negatively. IMO it makes you more likely to fall down your rank list.
(08-27-2019, 03:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Not honoring isn't going to cause you to not match, but it will likely move you a couple of spots lower on certain rank lists. Towards the top of the rank lists of good programs applicants are all impressive, and not honoring certain rotations is a way to stand out negatively. IMO it makes you more likely to fall down your rank list.

Fair enough. Could you counter that fall in the rank list by just pushing out more research?
(08-27-2019, 09:45 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 03:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Not honoring isn't going to cause you to not match, but it will likely move you a couple of spots lower on certain rank lists. Towards the top of the rank lists of good programs applicants are all impressive, and not honoring certain rotations is a way to stand out negatively. IMO it makes you more likely to fall down your rank list.

Fair enough. Could you counter that fall in the rank list by just pushing out more research?

Sure but you would still potentially perform better with honors and 10 pubs than without .again there is no absolute scale.
(08-28-2019, 05:59 AM)Focus Wrote:

Sure but you would still potentially perform better with honors and 10 pubs than without .again there is no absolute scale.

same stats but I have AOA with no honors in surgery and neuro
(08-28-2019, 07:54 AM)Guest Wrote:

(08-28-2019, 09:34 AM)Focus Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 07:54 AM)Guest Wrote:

what if I have 20 pubs 240 and no honors year 3

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)