Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do third year grades really matter?
(08-28-2019, 07:54 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 05:59 AM)Focus Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 09:45 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 03:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Not honoring isn't going to cause you to not match, but it will likely move you a couple of spots lower on certain rank lists. Towards the top of the rank lists of good programs applicants are all impressive, and not honoring certain rotations is a way to stand out negatively. IMO it makes you more likely to fall down your rank list.

Fair enough. Could you counter that fall in the rank list by just pushing out more research?

Sure but you would still potentially perform better with honors and 10 pubs than without .again there is no absolute scale.

same stats but I have AOA with no honors in surgery and neuro

How do you have AOA without honoring in surgery?? Seems like these grades and AOA are all so subjective between institutions
(08-28-2019, 09:49 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 09:45 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 03:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Not honoring isn't going to cause you to not match, but it will likely move you a couple of spots lower on certain rank lists. Towards the top of the rank lists of good programs applicants are all impressive, and not honoring certain rotations is a way to stand out negatively. IMO it makes you more likely to fall down your rank list.

Fair enough. Could you counter that fall in the rank list by just pushing out more research?

Sure but you would still potentially perform better with honors and 10 pubs than without .again there is no absolute scale.

How do you have AOA without honoring in surgery?? Seems like these grades and AOA are all so subjective between institutions
because I honoree honored or high passed everything  esle
(08-28-2019, 09:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 09:34 AM)Focus Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 09:45 PM)Guest Wrote: Fair enough. Could you counter that fall in the rank list by just pushing out more research?

what if I have 20 pubs 240 and no honors year 3

Obviously not great but you'll get a look because of your research. How did you not honor a single thing? Clerkship grades are literally a) did you come early and stay late (just be the first one in, last one out like on neurosurgery Sub-Is), b) are you really annoying/do your residents just hate you (don't be like this) and c) did you do reasonably well on the shelf (if you got a 240 and you put in the time you should be able to score well enough to honor). There's no secret here.
(08-28-2019, 02:58 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 05:59 AM)Focus Wrote: Sure but you would still potentially perform better with honors and 10 pubs than without .again there is no absolute scale.

Obviously not great but you'll get a look because of your research. How did you not honor a single thing? Clerkship grades are literally a) did you come early and stay late (just be the first one in, last one out like on neurosurgery Sub-Is), b) are you really annoying/do your residents just hate you (don't be like this) and c) did you do reasonably well on the shelf (if you got a 240 and you put in the time you should be able to score well enough to honor). There's no secret here.

This is largely institution dependent. Where I went, we were told evaluations mattered a lot but turned out they didn't matter at all unless you bombed it. There was a strict cut-off of scoring >85th percentile on the shelf. If you didn't meet this cutoff, it didn't matter how amazing your clinical evaluation was - you got a pass. If you scored >85th percentile and absolutely bombed the evaluation, they would "re-consider" giving you honors but

(08-28-2019, 03:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 02:58 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 07:54 AM)Guest Wrote: same stats but I have AOA with no honors in surgery and neuro

This is largely institution dependent. Where I went, we were told evaluations mattered a lot but turned out they didn't matter at all unless you bombed it. There was a strict cut-off of scoring >85th percentile on the shelf. If you didn't meet this cutoff, it didn't matter how amazing your clinical evaluation was - you got a pass. If you scored >85th percentile and absolutely bombed the evaluation, they would "re-consider" giving you honors but

*but no one ever got an honors taken away for a poor evaluation.
[quote pid='17741' dateline='1567019472']
[/quote]

I understand this. The same thing happened at my school. The solution is studying harder for the shelf. If you missed the cutoff for your first clerkship, figure out what went wrong and make the adjustment (study more, add a different question bank/another book, etc.) for your next one. It sucks to study every night for the shelf when you come back and you're tired but that's exactly how neurosurgery residency will be except on steroids (imagine coming back after a 20 hour day and cracking open Citow's). Other people in your class are honoring these clerkships under the same circumstances/shelf restrictions. Make changes so that one of them is you.
Very similar situation to earlier posters on this thread.

I'm consistently getting great evaluations, but keep missing clerkship cutoffs by 1 point on Shelf exam and my school requires an A on the shelf for an A on the rotation. So my final calculated grades are 95-97%. but a B is reported on my transcript because I got 89% on my shelf exam.

Are program directors aware of this? Is it worth bring up if questioned about it on my interview?
(09-25-2019, 01:32 PM)Guest Wrote: Very similar situation to earlier posters on this thread.

I'm consistently getting great evaluations, but keep missing clerkship cutoffs by 1 point on Shelf exam and my school requires an A on the shelf for an A on the rotation. So my final calculated grades are 95-97%. but a B is reported on my transcript because I got 89% on my shelf exam.

Are program directors aware of this? Is it worth bring up if questioned about it on my interview?

I only passed my gen surg rotation, and honored only 3 rotations. The only thing brought up was passing gen surg by one interviewer. I don't think my 3rd year grades mattered that much by themselves, but I do think me not getting AOA (mostly as a result of my 3rd year grades) moved me down the lists of the more competitive places I interviewed.

As for bringing it up, don't. In general try focus on your positives unless prompted otherwise.
How did you respond to the grade being brought up?
(09-30-2019, 08:51 PM)Guest Wrote: How did you respond to the grade being brought up?

For me (not OP but similar), I explained how I tried my best and felt I learned a lot from the rotation. I didn’t try to spin it into something it wasn’t. It wasn’t brought up often
everything matters. everyone has a 250+ so hard to stick out with step anymore.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)