Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing Research Interest?
How do you go about selecting an area of research you are interested in making a career out of? There are so many different research topics and it seems so difficult to know what specific area you are passionate about when you are so early in your neurosurgery career. I have always talked with physicians and just worked on their projects. My ideas for projects always seem to be too simple and all of my ideas have already been done. 

Now that I am on away rotations, I have been getting a lot of questions about what research I am interested in, and I just say something along the lines of a project I have done. Deep down, I really don't have any idea and struggling to figure out how to make it to the next step.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The only answer for this is to read more literature.

Think of a general category (i.e. spine, tumor, vascular, functional) and try to get caught up on the current state of research. Read articles in a JNS Neurosurgical Focus issue. You just have to keep reading and reading, develop your own original ideas, and then see who's doing what around you that you can use to bring those ideas to reality.

To be honest, thinking of projects that are "too simple" or have been done before just shows you haven't done your homework before speaking on them.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)