Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enfolded fellowships
I am looking for fellowship training opportunities that can be completed during residency.  Is anyone aware of programs offering fellowships like this at their institution for residents from other hospitals?  Thanks
lol good luck finding that
I am assuming you are a resident at a US program already, which I am honestly not sure is the case based on your question, but if so, you have two major obstacles that will make this very difficult:

1. Funding - someone will have to pay for you to do this enfolded, usually these are taken up by residents already at the home program because they are getting salary anyways. If you are to go away for an enfolded elsewhere good luck convincing your home institution to pay for you to go work elsewhere. Also, you won't be able to take 'attending call' as the PGY8 fellows can and therefore can't essentially pay for yourself. This is one of the major reasons enfolded fellowships also are done at your own institution

2. The residents - why would a program bring in an outside senior level resident to take the cases from their own residents? A PGY8 you can justify, but a PGY5-7? Good luck with your working relationship with the residents, they'll hate you.

Enfolded's are usually just either endovascular or spine, not too many other viable options out there these days, and by the fact that you didn't even specify what type of enfolded you are looking for, I imagine none of this is relevant to you anyways. But just in case there are other junior residents out there confused by the process hopefully this helps.
Louisville spine fellowship looks like it accepts residents from other hospitals.  I remember hearing select cases of this at other hospitals, but not common for sure.
ABNS has banned enfolded fellowships. period...sorry bruh
(08-18-2018, 03:01 PM)Guest Wrote: ABNS has banned enfolded fellowships. period...sorry bruh

Source?
(08-18-2018, 08:46 PM)Don Wrote:
(08-18-2018, 03:01 PM)Guest Wrote: ABNS has banned enfolded fellowships. period...sorry bruh

Source?

Not true at all:

"Enfolded Advanced Sub-Subspecialty Training: Currently, only trainees in an ACGMEapproved neurosurgery residency program are eligible to participate in CAST-accredited enfolded fellowships, and must comply with ACGME mandated work hours rules. Details of that training must meet specific timing requirements dictated by the sub-specialty. The SNS Executive Council and the sub-specialty AANS/CNS Joint Sections (Sections) advising CAST on prerequisite training and experience for their fellowships believe that fellowship training should occur at the appropriate senior level of residency, meaning after the designated Chief Resident year. Exceptions are Neurocritical Care, and the prerequisite 12 months in CNS Endovascular Surgery that mainly includes exposure to and competence in the performance and interpretation of diagnostic intravascular procedures (i.e. cerebral and spinal arteriography). a. Therefore, beginning in July 2019 and thereafter, the “senior resident level” requirement for participation in all enfolded CAST accredited fellowships (other than Neurocritical Care and CNS Endovascular Surgery) will be after the completion of their ABNS designated Chief Resident year."

https://www.abns.org/wp-content/uploads/...4-2019.pdf
Some programs such as UT Houston are continuing enfolded fellowships with the new rules by making the chief year pgy6 leaving pgy7 open for enfolded fellowships.
(10-13-2019, 11:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Some programs such as UT Houston are continuing enfolded fellowships with the new rules by making the chief year pgy6 leaving pgy7 open for enfolded fellowships.

Yes a lot of programs have adopted this. PGY6 chief year and PGY7 elective and open for fellowship.
(10-19-2019, 09:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 11:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Some programs such as UT Houston are continuing enfolded fellowships with the new rules by making the chief year pgy6 leaving pgy7 open for enfolded fellowships.

Yes a lot of programs have adopted this. PGY6 chief year and PGY7 elective and open for fellowship.

Would be one of the main factors along with case volume and mid level support to look for as an applicant. Could potentially shave a year off your life.