Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research to Surgery Ratio
Hi,
If I were to pursue a PhD and become a neurosurgeon would I predominantly have to do research?
Would I be able to have a 80% percent surgery and 20% research lifestyle? I have Heard  that it’s typically 70% research and 30% surgery. I love research and would love it to be imbedded into my career. 
Thanks
Depends on your level of research. Unless you have a full time PhD collaborator it would be hard to run a lab at the start of your career on so little time. Intermittent or clinical research would be possible.
Why the hell would you spend the time to do a PhD and then spend 20% of your time doing research?

Most PhDs in neurosurgery that I've interacted don't exactly lament the decision, but are open about the fact that they are not doing as much research as they hoped to. I can count on my fingers the number of truly successful neurosurgeon-scientists (50-50), and it's because they have a strong lab staff, including other PhDs, to rely on.
What’s the average salary for a PhD neurosurgeon?
(08-19-2018, 09:09 AM)Guest Wrote: What’s the average salary for a PhD neurosurgeon?

As a general rule, academic neurosurgeons get paid a fraction of what private practice surgeons do. Overall, you will likely take a pay cut to do research. However, it is hard to say how big a cut. Academic neurosurgeon salaries range from mid-300s to the mid-400s at the entry level and can rise with tenure. On the other hand, your salary can be supplemented by grants depending on the contract you sign.
You must’ve read the wrong MGMA data.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)