Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS3 advice
(08-19-2018, 06:46 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys, 

Been googling incessantly since I got my step 1 score and just wanted some advice on how to proceed based on my scores/resume
7 written pubs
4 oral presentations 
2 posters
cofirst 2nd name or 2nd author on almost all

225 step 1 
got by all preclinicals with a P

Another thing I'd add is you're going to need your chair or a mentor to make a few calls for you at programs you're really interested in (and competitive for). There will be a good amount of programs with a 230 cut off point, but a call from a respected surgeon vouching for you can get you that interview
Thanks for all the advice so far

My mentor at Mayo and my home institution said that they would be willing to make calls for me

What programs would I be competitive for? I went through every program in the nation's eligibility requirements a couple days ago and a lot don't write their step 1 requirement. How would I find this out? Also, would it behoove me to start contacting program directors at programs that I'm interested in so I can establish a relationship? If so how do I go about it?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions but I sincerely thank you all for the advice.

I should add, I have also gotten the NREF fellowship previously and all my pubs are in neurosurgery (both GBM and spine) and I'm also a reviewer for 2 neuro journals and I started a AANS chapter at my school. Basically, everything I have done since my freshman year of college has been directed towards neurosurgery and I have a lot of personal reasons why I'm driven towards it- I'm hoping that will go a long way but I guess a little unsure?
you may get courtesy interviews because of those calls, but you should be prepared for the worst. Get 260+ on Step 2, pump out more research, come from a good home program, and you'll have a shot. 225 on step 1 is a big hill to climb my friend.
how bad is 239
(08-24-2018, 12:45 PM)Guest Wrote: how bad is 239

Probably won't match at a top program unless you have connections and/or strong basic science papers but if you are a normal person without any other red flags you have a great chance of matching somewhere.

(08-24-2018, 12:45 PM)Guest Wrote: how bad is 239

Looking at the raw data, in 2018 US seniors (without a PhD) with 230-239 had a 76% chance of matching (22/29 applicants), with the next block of 240-249 having a 89% chance of matching (40/45 applicants).

So, you may be screened out of some top programs by being just under the 240 cutoff, but you're chances likely fall somewhere between the 76-89% match rate based on step 1.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)