Thread Rating:
  • 44 Vote(s) - 2.45 Average
Interview Invites 2018-2019
So I'm a US img and even though I have pretty decent scores I doubt I will match into neurosurgery this year. Is there any point in doing a preliminary year in gen surgery and if so are there any particular programs I should I aim for to increase my chances next year?
(12-21-2018, 09:46 AM)Guest Wrote: So I'm a US img and even though I have pretty decent scores I doubt I will match into neurosurgery this year. Is there any point in doing a preliminary year in gen surgery and if so are there any particular programs I should I aim for to increase my chances next year?

Just my sense of things, but I would imagine you would have a better shot matching at one of your desired programs if you took a year to do research somewhere and re-applied vs. hoping there will be a PGY2 spot open.
wayne state
Louisville, since the programs demise in 2009 interviews a lot of foreign medical graduates.
(12-21-2018, 10:33 AM)doctorK Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 09:46 AM)Guest Wrote: So I'm a US img and even though I have pretty decent scores I doubt I will match into neurosurgery this year. Is there any point in doing a preliminary year in gen surgery and if so are there any particular programs I should I aim for to increase my chances next year?

Just my sense of things, but I would imagine you would have a better shot matching at one of your desired programs if you took a year to do research somewhere and re-applied vs. hoping there will be a PGY2 spot open.
UCSF and Barrow are interviewing 2 US IMGs this year
Thank you for the suggestions and info, guys!
I'd like to say thank you to everyone I met on the trail this season. It really was a wonderful experience getting to meet someone talented and bright future colleagues. Good luck with rank lists everyone!
(01-13-2019, 10:06 PM)Guest Wrote: I'd like to say thank you to everyone I met on the trail this season. It really was a wonderful experience getting to meet someone talented and bright future colleagues. Good luck with rank lists everyone!

thank you for being amazing!
What’s up with the open PGY-2 spot at MGH??

https://mobile.twitter.com/mghneurosurg?lang=en
(02-01-2019, 10:32 AM)Guest Wrote: What’s up with the open PGY-2 spot at MGH??

https://mobile.twitter.com/mghneurosurg?lang=en

Due to issues with logging cases in 2017, they were only approved to take 2 residents last year. The clerical errors were rectified, so they are able to take 3/yr again. They are now trying to fill that third spot in the rising PGY2 class retroactively.