Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UTSW
Overall impression: nice place

Attendings and Residents were always great to talk to and valued the sub-is input, which was refreshing.

The Sub-I experience is devided into 2 main hospitals i.e. 2 weeks at Zales Lipshy hospital and 2 weeks at Parkland Hospital - both hospitals are connected (for now - a new Parkland hospital is almost completed)

At Zale-Lipshy hospital, you spend your one week on the Tumor service with primarily Dr. Mickey, Dr. Barnett and also dabble in some functional/DBS procedures with Dr. Louis Whitworth. Side note: Dr. Mickey is one of the nicest physician I've ever met. Dr. Barnett is great too; both are very approachable and seemed interested in teaching.

You spend the 2nd week on vascular service with Dr. White (PD), Dr. Welch, Dr. Rickert and Dr. Batjer (chair) - an amazing team; they clipped an at least one aneurysm per day while I was on this service - maybe this was just my lucky week; along with endovascular procedures. I saw a 3cm "ICA" aneurysm clipped (large enough to cause visual problems)!!! now that's something cool to see. Open cerebrovascular procedures are starting to become a thing of the past, but UTSW is a place where you can still see the procedures done by individuals who are competent in the field. You don't have to take calls these 2wks, but it will only look good if you do.

You then spend the other 2wks at Parkland hospital, which is primarily their trauma hospital. Here, you'll see a wider variety of cases, injuries and GSW, afterall you are in the heart of Dallas, a major metropolitan. You get to take calls at Parkland and you can take as much as you want - there's typically just one of other sub-i at parkland with you, so enough cases and face time to go around. They require at least 2 calls, but it makes sense to do at least a Q3.

You don't have to write notes, but 4H&Ps are required by the end of your rotation - this can be in email form, but it's easier to just do it in EPIC and assign the attending as co-sign.

There's also a presentation (not grand round) that's typically given on the Wednesday evening your final week. It's not malignant, but they'll ask you reasonable questions - which I liked because you'll get to talk about your research by people who are not trying to stomp you.

At both places, you come in at 5AM (or earlier, if you were slow like me), see your assigned patients and the residents will ask you about them at 6AM when they do their rounds. OR starts at around 7:30AM, seeing 2 to 3 procedures that day. On some days, I scrubbed on all cases and assisted quite a bit; while others I only scrubbed on one case. It all depended on the acuity of the patient and how many residents were interested in seeing the case. Usually towards the end of each case, the attendings/chiefs would scrub out and let the junior and sub-i close the wound i.e. after the dura has been put back together. If there was no junior in the OR, the sub-i and the chief would close.

The day typically concludes around 7:30PM (ranging from 6PM-9PM) if not on call.

Hope this helps. 
Any other thoughts about this place?

Anyone in particular to try to work with etc.
Anyone rotate here this past cycle and care to comment on their experience?
Would also like to hear some details
I rotated at UTSW this cycle and thought I would leave my thoughts.

On the first day, we met with Dr. Patel (assistant program director) to go over logistics and get our schedules. We were randomly assigned to one of five services: spine, tumor, vascular, Parkland (county hospital), and pediatrics. Every student spends at least 1 week on vascular and 1 week at Parkland, and the other weeks are considered “elective” weeks. Dr. Patel is very accommodating if you want to change your elective assignments. All rotations are at Zale Lipshy except for Parkland (obviously) and pediatrics.

General Information

Call:
Students only take call while at Parkland (1-2 nights/week). I was not asked to see consults or write notes and was allowed to go sleep in the call room usually before midnight. Because the program uses a night float system at Zale, students are explicitly told not to take call while on their Zale rotations.

Conference:
There are conferences almost every day. Expect to attending even if you are not on that specific service. The residents are good about keeping you in the loop. Students are largely ignored at these so you can relax.

Food:
Zale serves your typical cafeteria-style breakfast and lunch (but no dinner). Parkland has a nice food court with many more options that serves dinner.

Interviews:
We were interviewed during the final two weeks of our rotation. Students meet with 1-2 attendings in addition to Dr. Batjer (chair) and Dr. White (PD). Bring a printout of the ERAS LoR request form to your interview with Dr. Batjer. At the end of the interview, he will ask if you want him to write you a letter.

Operative Involvement:
In general, don’t expect to get to do a whole lot during cases, especially at Zale. Parkland is much more hands-on but depends on your skill level and the residents. I got to do at least some sewing on almost every case at Parkland (including fascia and subQ) but hardly ever got to sew at Zale. If you show you can tie you will be allowed to do it at both hospitals.

Parking:
Students can buy a parking pass for $10 that gives you access to a garage that is pretty far out of the way. Most of us simply parked in the Parkland garage for $5/day. Although not the most cost-effective option for the long-term, it is less than 5 minutes from Zale and directly next to Parkland.

Presentation:
Students present either a case or research topic (12 minutes max) during the last week of their rotation. This usually occurs on Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon. Expect only a handful of attendings and residents to show up – it is by no means a Grand Rounds presentation. It is very laid back and you will likely only get asked curiosity questions.

The Services

Spine:
About as chill of a service as you will find on a sub-I. I showed up at 6 AM to round with the residents (no prerounding), ate breakfast, then went to cases until the end of the day (usually around 4 PM). The residents advised not going to clinic this week which was fine with me.

Tumor:
Students are required to preround (get in around 5 AM) and present to attendings on rounds (before cases at 7 AM). Probably has the best case volume of all the services, with multiple rooms running at least 3-4 days a week. It is advised to go to Dr. Mickey’s clinic on Fridays.

Vascular:
UTSW’s reputation comes from its vascular prowess. As such, it is easily the most intimidating service for medical students but is also the place where you can shine. You are expected to carry your post-op patients; the most I carried at one time was four. Expect to present your patients at Chief Rounds at 6:30 AM. Typically, the juniors will want you to preround with them at ~6 AM, which means I was there around 5 AM to chart round and examine patients myself. There are typically no cases on Mondays, clinic on Tuesdays, and cases the rest of the week. Formal afternoon rounds occur anytime between ~3 PM and 4:30 PM – your junior resident will let you know when he/she knows. Wear a white coat and be prepared to present your patients (without notes) to your attending at the door of the patient room. Some mild pimping and/or questioning about your patient will inevitably occur (almost exclusively by Dr. Welch).

Parkland:
Most students find this to be the most enjoyable service of the rotation. Your experience will vary based on the specific residents running the service, but expect to carry 2-3 patients. You will preround with residents around 6:15 AM (no need to do any more than chart round beforehand). Chief rounds are at 6:45 AM (students do not present) and formal rounds with attendings are at 7 AM (students do present). Note that these are much more relaxed than the vascular service rounds. Afterwards, go to cases all day. Clinic on Wednesday (I think) with all of the residents.

Pediatrics:
Probably not the best rotation for students looking to get facetime with attendings and residents. It seems to be a peripheral part of the program that operates in its own world.

If anyone has more questions feel free to ask.
Agree with everything that was said. Unfortunately it seemed like the vascular volume has dropped precipitously compared with previous reports. Whether this was just a natural fluctuation in cases or because the service has slowed down I cannot be certain, but I suspect the latter.
(09-16-2018, 06:44 PM)Guest Wrote: Agree with everything that was said. Unfortunately it seemed like the vascular volume has dropped precipitously compared with previous reports. Whether this was just a natural fluctuation in cases or because the service has slowed down I cannot be certain, but I suspect the latter.

OP from the post above this one - this is very true, and is due to the service slowing down. The residents were very open about it which was refreshing. Dr. Batjer's practice has slowed down substantially (would only see ~6 patients each clinic day), Dr. White does ~80% NPH, TN, etc., and Dr. Welch does a lot of endovascular.
I agree with above, the open vascular prominence of UTSW is gone. And all of the endovascular stuff that Dr. Welch does doesn't matter because he has 2 fellows with him at all times. It's not really the fault of the program, Dr. Batjer is planning to retire and he's hard to replace.

To me the real strengths of the program were the tumor service (new brain institute with tons of funding, Dr. Patel) and Parkland (tons of autonomy for the residents, and not just with bread and butter spine).

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)