Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.29 Average
ERAS submission date -- Sep 15th vs Sep 20th - is it suicidal ?
Hi fellas, do any of you guys have advice for my situation : I am applying for 2019 match but I am just not able to submit my application by tomorrow Sep 15th for many reasons, one of which is I have to get my school to send updated transcript. I can fix  all these by next week and I can submit a well completed application by Sep 20th. 

I called a three neurosurgery program coordinators to ask if I should submit an incomplete application and then update later or submit my application one week later. One coordinator said they download all application on September 16th and that is it for the entire cycle. Another coordinator said they don't care very much as they will review all applications submitted before the application deadline in October and said I should have no problem submitting Sep 20th. The third coordinator completely refused to give me any advice or thoughts in this matter.

I am really bogged by this. I would very much appreciate if you guys have any advice,  evidence or hearsay to help me decide when I must submit the ERAS. 

In case my profile has some impact, here is a bit about myself : Non-US IMG from Caribbean medical school, 250+ Step 1, 12 publications in 5 years research prior to medschool( but none in nsgy) , currently post-doc fellow in academic nsgy program with a couple of abstract submissions. 

Thanks a lot folks and all the best to everyone this application cycle !!
(09-14-2018, 08:17 PM)vmtrinka Wrote: Hi fellas, do any of you guys have advice for my situation : I am applying for 2019 match but I am just not able to submit my application by tomorrow Sep 15th for many reasons, one of which is I have to get my school to send updated transcript. I can fix  all these by next week and I can submit a well completed application by Sep 20th. 

I called a three neurosurgery program coordinators to ask if I should submit an incomplete application and then update later or submit my application one week later. One coordinator said they download all application on September 16th and that is it for the entire cycle. Another coordinator said they don't care very much as they will review all applications submitted before the application deadline in October and said I should have no problem submitting Sep 20th. The third coordinator completely refused to give me any advice or thoughts in this matter.

I am really bogged by this. I would very much appreciate if you guys have any advice,  evidence or hearsay to help me decide when I must submit the ERAS. 

In case my profile has some impact, here is a bit about myself : Non-US IMG from Caribbean medical school, 250+ Step 1, 12 publications in 5 years research prior to medschool( but none in nsgy) , currently post-doc fellow in academic nsgy program with a couple of abstract submissions. 

Thanks a lot folks and all the best to everyone this application cycle !!
You are in a tough situation bud.  So, there is absolutely no way you could submit by the deadline?  Submitting it later puts you at the disadvantage that you'll be screened out of programs that download the apps they only received by the deadline they chose.  Though you seem like strong candidate academically, but being an IMG doesn't help much.  And I assume by updated transcript, you meant there was a mistake on the one they previously submitted.  So, unless that mistake was grave and put you on the uncompetitive side, then I would lean towards submitting and have that updated transcript afterwards.  Also, not sure how much emphasis programs put on transcripts anyways.  
PS:  Take my word with a grain of salt.  I am not a PD or Coordinator.  Just a fellow applicant
Hey thanks a lot for your thoughts. I want to clarify that I will certainly be able to submit before the deadline date which is in October. But what I am not able to do is submit the ERAS by tomorrow Sep 15th which is the first day applications are available to programs.
I do realize that there is a disadvantage to being an IMG. As for the transcript, yes the current transcript is not favorable as it has many incomplete courses that needed just case logs and course surveys which are now complete. Thanks again for your comment.

Does anybody else have any other thoughts ? Thank you !
(09-14-2018, 11:24 PM)vmtrinka Wrote: Hey thanks a lot for your thoughts. I want to clarify that I will certainly be able to submit before the deadline date which is in October. But what I am not able to do is submit the ERAS by tomorrow Sep 15th which is the first day applications are available to programs.
I do realize that there is a disadvantage to being an IMG. As for the transcript, yes the current transcript is not favorable as it has many incomplete courses that needed just case logs and course surveys which are now complete. Thanks again for your comment.

You should not submit an incomplete application, and since ERAS locks your part of the application when you certify, you will not be able to update that after you submit. However, other documents like personal statement, LoRs, transcript, can be updated/reuploaded later and the updated version will be available for download by the programs.

That being said, you should do everything in your power on your end to submit ASAP. The later you submit, the more programs will have already downloaded the applications and will not care to check for later applications, thus excluding yourself from the consideration process completely. Do not think that the deadline is the actual deadline, as many programs will not wait until then to start considering applicants.
(09-15-2018, 10:27 AM)Hi there, thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I will do everything possible to submit in the next couple of days. Thanks for clarifying that the personal statement can also be re-uploaded or updated later, although, I don\t plan on that. I know I should submit my application with a single good PS. Thanks again for your thoughts.  www Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 11:24 PM)vmtrinka Wrote: Hey thanks a lot for your thoughts. I want to clarify that I will certainly be able to submit before the deadline date which is in October. But what I am not able to do is submit the ERAS by tomorrow Sep 15th which is the first day applications are available to programs.

You should not submit an incomplete application, and since ERAS locks your part of the application when you certify, you will not be able to update that after you submit. However, other documents like personal statement, LoRs, transcript, can be updated/reuploaded later and the updated version will be available for download by the programs.

That being said, you should do everything in your power on your end to submit ASAP. The later you submit, the more programs will have already downloaded the applications and will not care to check for later applications, thus excluding yourself from the consideration process completely. Do not think that the deadline is the actual deadline, as many programs will not wait until then to start considering applicants.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)