Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
med school prestige for residency
(10-13-2018, 11:02 AM)Guest Wrote: The medical school prestige as a whole has nothing to do with it. It is more about your school's neurosurgery program's prestige. It just so happens medical school and program prestige tends to align, but not in every case. The more well-respected your home program is the more likely it is that you have well-respected faculty to vouch for you, and the more likely you are to have quality neurosurgery publications just from being around these programs. On top of that, people that were able to get into top medical schools are more likely to perform better on exams.

No one gives the applicant from an ivy league medical school any more respect than the state school applicant solely because he was able to get into an ivy league school. That's ridiculous.

Applications are always screened to some extent based solely on the school. How many d.o. Or Caribbean neurosurgeons are there?  Ceteris paribus a progtam director would view an applicant from a prestigious school more favorably than an applicant from a less prestigious school. As has been said manny times, this does not mean applicants from a Southern Illinois can’t be great. Morning does it mean that someone from Hopkins must be great.
(10-13-2018, 11:02 AM)Guest Wrote: The medical school prestige as a whole has nothing to do with it. It is more about your school's neurosurgery program's prestige. It just so happens medical school and program prestige tends to align, but not in every case. The more well-respected your home program is the more likely it is that you have well-respected faculty to vouch for you, and the more likely you are to have quality neurosurgery publications just from being around these programs. On top of that, people that were able to get into top medical schools are more likely to perform better on exams.

No one gives the applicant from an ivy league medical school any more respect than the state school applicant solely because he was able to get into an ivy league school. That's ridiculous.

I agree with the home neurosurgery program prestige part (as far as letters, research, and phone calls go) but you absolutely do get bonus points for going to a top tier med school even without an elite neurosurgery department (see Yale, Pritzker, etc.) I was involved in the interview selection process this year as a senior and echo what the poster above wrote - a top 10 school is probably worth ~10 points ish on step 1. You obviously can't do poorly but a lot of the screeners who reviewed this year gave the nod to low-mid 240s from top places over the same or low-mid 250s from places they hadn't really heard of, given equal research. As other people have stated, students from top schools on average tend to have bigger name letters and more papers, which confounds this somewhat.
as someone with non top 10 and with over 30 pubs, do I have a good chance at a top tier program? step score is mid 240s, but i goto a state school with a mid-low tier nsg department. i dod most of my research at a top 5 nsg program
Yes, the mid-240s won’t help. Make sure you do a subI at a top place
yes meaning i have a chance?
(10-13-2018, 10:56 PM)Guest Wrote: yes meaning i have a chance?

Yes because you have really strong research and (presumably) good letters from big names at the top 5 program you worked at. Hopefully they can open doors for you.
(10-14-2018, 12:14 AM)Guest Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 10:56 PM)Guest Wrote: yes meaning i have a chance?

Yes because you have really strong research and (presumably) good letters from big names at the top 5 program you worked at. Hopefully they can open doors for you.

I have a similar situation. No home program but did research at a NSG powerhouse in the area. Have a total of 20 pubs from 2 different institutions and step1 sub 240 but I made AOA
This topic is beating a dead horse.

Yes, going to a top medical school is useful for matching neurosurgery, especially a top program, but the same could be said about any solid program in any specialty. Look at top IM/peds/psych programs. Most residents are from "good" medical schools. More important is having a strong home program. A UVA, Utah or UF medical student will be on par (all things being equalized) with a medical student from a more prestigious school like Duke/Cornell/Vandy just because their department is strong and will have letters from top-notch faculty.
(10-15-2018, 12:31 PM)Guest Wrote: This topic is beating a dead horse.

Yes, going to a top medical school is useful for matching neurosurgery, especially a top program, but the same could be said about any solid program in any specialty. Look at top IM/peds/psych programs. Most residents are from "good" medical schools. More important is having a strong home program. A UVA, Utah or UF medical student will be on par (all things being equalized) with a medical student from a more prestigious school like Duke/Cornell/Vandy just because their department is strong and will have letters from top-notch faculty.

Sure, but doing research by taking a dedicated year at a top program helps a ton too!
(10-12-2018, 12:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Makes a huge different not only to residency programs, but also to patients.
Also stop typing like a teenager

Patients don't know jack shit about which medical schools are good. They would believe Princeton and Notre Dame has the best program.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)