Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yale program
(02-26-2017, 08:48 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 09:21 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 07:41 PM)Guest Wrote: My thoughts: Yale is a sleeper program. Since Gunel became chair in 2014, the number of clinical faculty has almost doubled (now ~20) with likewise increases in case volume/complexity. The program did this partly by absorbing community surgeons (Petrucci, Tomak, Bartolomei, Doherty) and hiring former medical students/residents (Kahle, Hebert, Omay). The most significant hire was Joe Cheng, who single-handedly breathed life into the complex spine program.

During the interview presentation, it's clear that Yale is utilizing Pittsburgh's spoke & wheel model for expansion i.e. they're covering community hospitals throughout Connecticut & referring the complex cases to the flagship, Yale-New Haven Hospital. Some of these community hospitals include the Saint Raphael campus, Lawrence + Memorial Hospital, and Greenwich Hospital.

I may be incorrect, but my impression is that historically a good chunk of Connecticut patient volume has been siphoned by the New York and Boston programs. This should be combatted with the current strategy. As Connecticut's only neurosurgery residency program, Yale will only keep expanding under Gunel's leadership. There will be growing pains as expected and some of the better-known faculty (Spencer, Piepmeier) will slow down/retire in the upcoming years.  

Basic science research is top notch although clinical research appears to lag behind. You can also utilize the ridiculous resources of Yale University (undergrad and graduate schools almost all within 7 blocks of the hospital). This is subjective, but I thought the Yale residents were some of the most approachable and happiest residents I met on the trail. They're worked appropriately (good mid-level coverage, tradition of being a "gentleman's program" under Spencer) and have great flexibility during their research years.

The major disadvantage of Yale is the location. While the resident pay is excellent (~$61.5K as an intern in '16) and the housing is affordable, New Haven is not New York or San Francisco, although it doesn't pretend to be.

Thank you. Apparently, this is not a second look thought and sounds more like a resident or student there. Would like to hear from anyone went there for a second look after the interview. I guess many applicants went there for a second look because even very small programs get at least 2-3 second look visitors
You should have made it to the second look dude. everybody was there, even the guys who didn't do the first look. They said, as soon as the ROL deadline is passed, they will allow those who did not come for a first look and/or a second look, a chance to come in for a third look. so you are good to go. Don't worry though, if you end up missing the third look, they are allowing fourth looks after the match.

LMAOOOO
I heard Yale only ranks people 1st and 2nd who tell them Yale is their #1. Shouldn't that be illegal? Fragile ego much
(02-06-2018, 09:42 PM)Guest Wrote: I heard Yale only ranks people 1st and 2nd who tell them Yale is their #1. Shouldn't that be illegal? Fragile ego much

LOL (at you)
I really loved my interview as well but also due to the reasons mentioned above, I didn't rank them in my top 5. Yale iss a fantastic program for basic science research, but at the end of the day, they clinical training comes first for me. Hopefully it'll get better in the years to come.
Has anyone done a sub-I here in the last couple of years? Obviously the name is great but would like to see what the rotation is like.
(05-27-2018, 04:25 PM)Guest Wrote: Has anyone done a sub-I here in the last couple of years? Obviously the name is great but would like to see what the rotation is like.

Can we please stop using great name for these institutions that are great undergrads but suck in neurosurgery?
(05-27-2018, 08:48 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 04:25 PM)Guest Wrote: Has anyone done a sub-I here in the last couple of years? Obviously the name is great but would like to see what the rotation is like.

Can we please stop using great name for these institutions that are great undergrads but suck in neurosurgery?

It's interesting that Yale med always produces phenomenal neurosurgery applicants. They consistently send students off to UCSF, Hopkins, etc. Probably because that extra "5th year" research year helps their application?
I don't think it is that interesting. While not a top neurosurgery residency program, Yale is a pretty high end med school that gets great students who generally will make good residency applicants. Yale has very strong neurosurgical research, especially in genetics, which most of the strong applicants from Yale are involved in and end up with good papers/presentations from their research time relative to most medical students because of it.
are there any updates on this program? has the volume been improving?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)