Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else feel shell shocked at times?
snowflake guy here. we can't afford to feel sorry for ourselves. period. You are not helping him/her.
(11-23-2018, 11:04 PM)Anonymous Wrote: Anyone else have days where the sky is pretty close to literally falling? You're firing in multiple emergent EVDs between which you have about 5-10 minutes to explain to a family that their young previously healthy loved one who was exercising for fun is now a vegetable and best case scenario might overbreathe the vent and flinch to noxious if everything goes well. 

Before you can even process the immense sadness and heaviness of that situation the fucking PACU is hammer paging you to change some outpatient procedures orders in a completely arbitrary way because it's somehow slightly, but not functionally, incorrect. 

While you're trying to put that in you get a consult for cord compression with a dude who woke up this morning and can't move his legs and is pissing and shitting himself for the past 3 hours.

While on your way down to the ED you get another call that a 80 yo male on aspirin, plavix and eliquis fell and now has a huge acute SDH requring Stat OR but will probably die anyway because grandma obviously must have angered the all mighty God. 

Not to mention the 500 other bullshit consults that are essentially NTD call me never please but the medicine attending is demanding a formal consult just to have neurosurgery "on board". 

Then you get phonecalls from attendings about pts you've never heard of needing to be preoped with clearence from 7 different services by tomorrow for a first start and it's 4pm

But now one of your EVDs has clotted off and you need go flush it but it won't fucking drain because the dude has b/l hematomas instead of ventricles so you eventually decide you need to soft pass a new drain but it's 9pm and you haven't eaten and you're fucking starving. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm just numb, I see some of the most depressing fucked up shit in the world while I drop bombshells on families all day. 

But I never have a minute to even process. I walk out of the hospital with a 1000 yard stare just to repeat it all again. It almost doesn't feel real sometimes. 

Am I alone?
Now add racist psychopathic attendings threatening to fire you and insulting your heritage while making you do push ups in the ICU
(11-24-2018, 11:27 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 11:04 PM)Anonymous Wrote: Anyone else have days where the sky is pretty close to literally falling? You're firing in multiple emergent EVDs between which you have about 5-10 minutes to explain to a family that their young previously healthy loved one who was exercising for fun is now a vegetable and best case scenario might overbreathe the vent and flinch to noxious if everything goes well. 

Before you can even process the immense sadness and heaviness of that situation the fucking PACU is hammer paging you to change some outpatient procedures orders in a completely arbitrary way because it's somehow slightly, but not functionally, incorrect. 

While you're trying to put that in you get a consult for cord compression with a dude who woke up this morning and can't move his legs and is pissing and shitting himself for the past 3 hours.

While on your way down to the ED you get another call that a 80 yo male on aspirin, plavix and eliquis fell and now has a huge acute SDH requring Stat OR but will probably die anyway because grandma obviously must have angered the all mighty God. 

Not to mention the 500 other bullshit consults that are essentially NTD call me never please but the medicine attending is demanding a formal consult just to have neurosurgery "on board". 

Then you get phonecalls from attendings about pts you've never heard of needing to be preoped with clearence from 7 different services by tomorrow for a first start and it's 4pm

But now one of your EVDs has clotted off and you need go flush it but it won't fucking drain because the dude has b/l hematomas instead of ventricles so you eventually decide you need to soft pass a new drain but it's 9pm and you haven't eaten and you're fucking starving. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm just numb, I see some of the most depressing fucked up shit in the world while I drop bombshells on families all day. 

But I never have a minute to even process. I walk out of the hospital with a 1000 yard stare just to repeat it all again. It almost doesn't feel real sometimes. 

Am I alone?
Now add racist psychopathic attendings threatening to fire you and insulting your heritage while making you do push ups in the ICU
Maybe your heritage sucks. How many push-ups can you do?

Am I alone?

Nah, buddy. I'm your co-resident; how could you be alone?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)