Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS3 Advice-Much Appreciated
(12-08-2018, 01:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 06:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 11:22 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 11:18 AM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys, wanted to get your thoughts on my application thus far. I did have circumstances which lead to my bad step score (head on car accident leading to vertebral fractures and subluxations in my first year)

step 1: 225 
step 2: Not taken 
IM-HP
Surg-P
rest of rotations not completed yet 

NREF (from AANS) scholarship for research 
8 written pubs, 4 oral, 2 poster 

Goal is to match, I don't care where

How should I plan out the rest of my medical school to match?
Thank you in advance

You need to do 5 or more sub-i's, and you need your chair and PD to make calls for you.

The rest of your application won't matter because you'll just be immediately filtered out by step score from 95% of programs. They won't even read it.
yeh stfu. get over your stupid god complex and give valuable advice. else just go live in your dark hole of a world.
You’re an idiot. This is solid advice. You will be screened out. Sorry you don’t want to hear it but it’s true
That wasn't me who responded to that, however I appreciate the advice, it is consistent with that I am hearing. I was thinking of doing 3 aways + home institution AI so 4 in total. Do you think contacting programs to urge them to look at my application is reasonable? My research PI and my home institution neurosurgeons know me and said that they will reach out to people for me as well. I know I really shot myself in the foot with my step score however I'm a hard working and I'm hoping that it'll show through.

I don't know how this whole strand got so angry, I'm asking for genuine advice so I appreciate everyone who is giving me it. Thanks for taking time out of your day to do it.

(12-06-2018, 11:28 AM)Guest Wrote: All the advice I have is don’t harp on it in a woe is me personal statement it will not be received well, even if a legitimate reason for a lower step score.

Thanks, I've been on the fence about this. Should I just not mention it at all? I've been hearing mixed things
(12-09-2018, 11:15 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 01:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 06:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 11:22 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 11:18 AM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys, wanted to get your thoughts on my application thus far. I did have circumstances which lead to my bad step score (head on car accident leading to vertebral fractures and subluxations in my first year)

step 1: 225 
step 2: Not taken 
IM-HP
Surg-P
rest of rotations not completed yet 

NREF (from AANS) scholarship for research 
8 written pubs, 4 oral, 2 poster 

Goal is to match, I don't care where

How should I plan out the rest of my medical school to match?
Thank you in advance

You need to do 5 or more sub-i's, and you need your chair and PD to make calls for you.

The rest of your application won't matter because you'll just be immediately filtered out by step score from 95% of programs. They won't even read it.
yeh stfu. get over your stupid god complex and give valuable advice. else just go live in your dark hole of a world.
You’re an idiot. This is solid advice. You will be screened out. Sorry you don’t want to hear it but it’s true
That wasn't me who responded to that, however I appreciate the advice, it is consistent with that I am hearing. I was thinking of doing 3 aways + home institution AI so 4 in total. Do you think contacting programs to urge them to look at my application is reasonable? My research PI and my home institution neurosurgeons know me and said that they will reach out to people for me as well. I know I really shot myself in the foot with my step score however I'm a hard working and I'm hoping that it'll show through.

I don't know how this whole strand got so angry, I'm asking for genuine advice so I appreciate everyone who is giving me it. Thanks for taking time out of your day to do it.

(12-06-2018, 11:28 AM)Guest Wrote: All the advice I have is don’t harp on it in a woe is me personal statement it will not be received well, even if a legitimate reason for a lower step score.

Thanks, I've been on the fence about this. Should I just not mention it at all? I've been hearing mixed things

People get sensitive about step scores here, fact is step 1 filters are very real. I gave that advice because I have a friend who went through what you’re about to- great guy, great resident, messed up step 1, still matched. You overcome it with personal connections and being an awesome sub-I. Good luck!

And definitely mention the score, just take responsibility, don’t blame circumstances.
Awesome, thank you! I will definitely not harp on it then. Appreciate all the advice from everyone

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)