Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 residents/year
(03-19-2019, 10:59 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 07:05 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 07:02 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 10:50 AM)Guest Wrote: UF, MGH, Case and Jeff are back filled, Baylor has 1 military spot, Hopkins has been 4/year for a a couple years. Not sure why Mayo and CC are taking 4, but Baylor, Jeff, and CC all have the volume for 4/year though if they wanted without "triple scrubbing shunts."

I've also heard of other high volume programs like Miami applying to go to 4. It's likely that we'll see multiple 4/year programs added soon.

Lol. Baylor has volume for 4! Best joke so far

Well EVDs, art lines, central lines, and trauma decros do count!

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't a high volume neuroICU also mean a high volume operative experience? Or are there a lot of non-operative patients that get EVDs that hang around a while?

Baylor's Sub-I experience is heavily focused on neurocritical care and not operating which is a turnoff for most. Idk how being a resident is there

(03-18-2019, 08:56 PM)Guest Wrote: Not to be a turd (ultimate signal I’m about to be a turd) but y’all are using the phrase “back filled” wrong. When people say that they mean taking residents outside of the match for higher positions like PGY2 or higher. Taking extra interns because of an extra spot higher up doesn’t have a name that I know of but it’s the opposite of back filling lol.

I'm coining the term "intern compensation".
(03-18-2019, 08:56 PM)Guest Wrote: Not to be a turd (ultimate signal I’m about to be a turd) but y’all are using the phrase “back filled” wrong. When people say that they mean taking residents outside of the match for higher positions like PGY2 or higher. Taking extra interns because of an extra spot higher up doesn’t have a name that I know of but it’s the opposite of back filling lol.

It's also the sign of a weak program.  They don't have the volume to support another more senior resident, but need scut monkeys to churn out the non-sults and discharge summaries.
(03-19-2019, 03:27 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 10:59 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 07:05 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 10:50 AM)Guest Wrote: UF, MGH, Case and Jeff are back filled, Baylor has 1 military spot, Hopkins has been 4/year for a a couple years. Not sure why Mayo and CC are taking 4, but Baylor, Jeff, and CC all have the volume for 4/year though if they wanted without "triple scrubbing shunts."

I've also heard of other high volume programs like Miami applying to go to 4. It's likely that we'll see multiple 4/year programs added soon.

Well EVDs, art lines, central lines, and trauma decros do count!

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't a high volume neuroICU also mean a high volume operative experience? Or are there a lot of non-operative patients that get EVDs that hang around a while?

Baylor's Sub-I experience is heavily focused on neurocritical care and not operating which is a turnoff for most. Idk how being a resident is there

I'm coining the term "intern compensation".

Awww man, I was gonna vote for "front-loading" hahah
(03-19-2019, 05:38 PM)Guest Wrote:

It's also the sign of a weak program.  They don't have the volume to support another more senior resident, but need scut monkeys to churn out the non-sults and discharge summaries.

As a senior resident at one of the listed programs, you’re an idiot. We’re approved for a certain number of residents, people leave, class sizes vary, we fill to our allotment allowed because if we didn’t, cases would go uncovered. There’s a reason programs are approved for a certain total number of residents and it’s because they generally need them to function.

how is that a joke? they have 5 hospitals and do between 5000-6000 major cases each year. I did a sub-I there last year and it was amazing to see. They have major cases that go uncovered because of the volume.
(04-04-2019, 10:21 AM)Guest Wrote:

how is that a joke? they have 5 hospitals and do between 5000-6000 major cases each year. I did a sub-I there last year and it was amazing to see. They have major cases that go uncovered because of the volume.

No need to respond to the troll. It's well known that all of those programs have more than enough volume for 4/year, i'm sure current residents would actually welcome the help.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)