Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.2 Average
Cavernous sinus lesion
Please excuse my intrusion into the neurosurgery board, but thought I'd throw an odd case out there.  I'm a radiologist, and have been shown a case of a smoothly marginated, nonenhancing lesion in the cavernous sinus.  It contains a nodular component surrounded by fluid, and the nodular component is approximately isointense to brain on various sequences.  On the coronal images, the soft tissue/nodular component is not well separated from the temporal lobe tissue above, so my primary consideration is a small encephalocele or less likely ectopic rest.  The lesion is causing a 6th nerve palsy.  A quick search has found a potentially similar case:

(Cavernous Sinus Encephalocele: Surgeon Beware

ArticleinJournal of Neurological Surgery, Part B: Skull Base 78(S 01):S1-S156 · March 2017 with 48 Reads
DOI: 10.1055/s-0037-1600820

My question lies in the feasibility of fixing such a lesion, and if there are certain centers or individuals that would be more experienced or receptive to such a case.  Would a typical academic center have a skull base surgeon that deals with this kind of case?Thanks for any guidance.  
Yes, send to an academic, tertiary care center with a neurosurgery service to review images and discuss options.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)