Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UF vs Miami
(04-05-2019, 04:38 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 04:04 PM)Guest Wrote: To be a little more pragmatic in answering the question : I think a solid performance on a UF SubI would go farther towards getting you a spot in March compared to UMiami. Atleast for the few years around the time I was applying, a number of people did SubIs there combined with their own applicants, so even if you SubI'd there you were 1 of 20 people that they would be seriously considering vs. UF which typically had fewer trying to go into NSU/SubI's.

^^^ This may have been a fluke just for my application time, but just some food for thought

That is something to consider. At the same time that is the case with any high volume Sub-I program like Pitt, UW, UCSF, etc. Don't shy from competition in an attempt to standout. Letters from either place are generally positive and will help you.

Consider your subspecialty of interest, or where your home faculty are well connected. If you're interested in radiosurgery or functional go with UF. Miami is historically one of the best programs for trauma. Also probably stronger than UF in spine.

From my experience advising applicants over the last few years I agree that you should rotate at UF if you're either only looking to match somewhere in March, or simply looking to expand your geographical area for interview invites. But if you're trying to match at one of the operatively elite programs with big name well-connected faculty (Pitt, UW, UCSF, Miami, NYU) rotating is going to significantly help your chances of matching at that place
(04-06-2019, 11:17 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 04:38 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 04:04 PM)Guest Wrote: To be a little more pragmatic in answering the question : I think a solid performance on a UF SubI would go farther towards getting you a spot in March compared to UMiami. Atleast for the few years around the time I was applying, a number of people did SubIs there combined with their own applicants, so even if you SubI'd there you were 1 of 20 people that they would be seriously considering vs. UF which typically had fewer trying to go into NSU/SubI's.

^^^ This may have been a fluke just for my application time, but just some food for thought

That is something to consider. At the same time that is the case with any high volume Sub-I program like Pitt, UW, UCSF, etc. Don't shy from competition in an attempt to standout. Letters from either place are generally positive and will help you.

Consider your subspecialty of interest, or where your home faculty are well connected. If you're interested in radiosurgery or functional go with UF. Miami is historically one of the best programs for trauma. Also probably stronger than UF in spine.

From my experience advising applicants over the last few years I agree that you should rotate at UF if you're either only looking to match somewhere in March, or simply looking to expand your geographical area for interview invites. But if you're trying to match at one of the operatively elite programs with big name well-connected faculty (Pitt, UW, UCSF, Miami, NYU) rotating is going to significantly help your chances of matching at that place

Agreed. There are programs that will only take you seriously if you rotate with them or their peer institutions. By looking at this past year, programs are trending towards wanting a known quantity more than ever.
Has Miami started looking at our apps yet?
(04-24-2019, 06:51 PM)Guest Wrote: Has Miami started looking at our apps yet?

got offered a subI spot

step 1>260
pubs= 15
UF lost a PGY3? Any comments?
(07-02-2019, 07:54 PM)Guest Wrote: UF lost a PGY3? Any comments?

https://twitter.com/drbrophy/status/1145626345973538822

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)