Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chillest Programs? Most Malignant Programs?
One of the programs which was really very resident oriented program was UTMB in Galveston. With new PD and Chair, the program has turned 180. One 4th yr left this year as there was too much torture by the Chair. It has turned into a  malignant now
Talk about chill or malignant...in another post people are blaming the person and its never the environment. An environment can make or break someones career 1000%. What is malignant to some can be chill to others too. Sometimes chiefs become lazy, leave the OR at 2pm for the day consistently, and ramp up the scut work for the PGY2's, making life better for everyone above. Whereas Ive seen some chiefs get down in the trenches and make sure everyone does equal work.
Above is true. There are programs out there with minimal call and lots of PA/NP support with hours that are "chill". Residents are done at 2PM, but throughout the day they have learn absolutely nothing because most of the attendings just want to finish their cases alone or with a fellow and be done early. This is not a program to be training in.
UTSW most malignant
^ Heard some mixed opinions on UTSW. Some say its good, but others say its bad. I know a guy left for consultancy, and then he made some angry posts on twitter about medicine being demoralizing. I know the med school has been subject to several lawsuits related to unfair dismissals.
Not sure about the inner culture. I did not go to UTSW for residency, but their graduates are very solid for what it’s worth. I would ignore calling this place malignant if it’s mostly based on that one guy leaving for consulting… I think someone writing a book entitled “Surviving neurosurgery” that bows out before PGY2 is more reflective of the person than the institution. They are a busy clinical program with multiple hospitals in a large metropolitan area with no other large institutions in the city so the residents probably have high volume and someone has to be on call for those hospitals… but again, very solid graduates. Look to see where their graduates go, if they have some of them staying on staff at UTSW then it’s probably not so malignant
It's fine if you're a frat bro, but if you're among the many women who apply the culture there is toxic
Highly toxic, avoid at all costs.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)