Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research year or no?
I am on the fence about taking a research year, as research is a weaker point in my application. What do you all think? 

Step 1: 260s
Clinical grades: half honors, half high-pass
Research: 1 first author paper, two mid-author papers, a couple of posters

Thanks!
Fuck you
(04-14-2019, 03:44 AM)Guest Wrote: Fuck you

Sound awfully bitter. Go unmatched?
(04-14-2019, 01:05 AM)Guest Wrote: I am on the fence about taking a research year, as research is a weaker point in my application. What do you all think? 

Thanks!

What kind of program are you looking for? If you're aiming for an elite program then I would recommend it. If you just want to match you'll get into a solid program with what you have now.
(04-14-2019, 01:05 AM)Guest Wrote: I am on the fence about taking a research year, as research is a weaker point in my application. What do you all think? 

Thanks!

You'd honestly likely get a great program without a year off, but a research year would virtually guarantee you a top program as long as you get a great letter out of it and perform well on your Sub-I.

Do you go to a top school? Your clinical grades are probably about average for NSG but would almost certainly keep you out of AOA. Overall you're in pretty good shape though.
(04-14-2019, 02:42 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thanks!

You'd honestly likely get a great program without a year off, but a research year would virtually guarantee you a top program as long as you get a great letter out of it and perform well on your Sub-I.

Do you go to a top school? Your clinical grades are probably about average for NSG but would almost certainly keep you out of AOA. Overall you're in pretty good shape though.

No one cares about AOA or clinical grades anymore. It used to be a marker of how hard you can work until PDs started valuing research more. There is subsequently a trade off between grades and research unless you have a PhD or research year.
Top-ish school (Ie. top 25, but not like a top-5). Yeah, no AOA for me. I think I'd be happy at any program where I was a good fit- not necessarily shooting for an 'elite' program.
(04-14-2019, 05:30 PM)Guest Wrote: Top-ish school (Ie. top 25, but not like a top-5). Yeah, no AOA for me. I think I'd be happy at any program where I was a good fit- not necessarily shooting for an 'elite' program.

If you don't care about matching at UCSF, Barrow, Hopkins, Columbia then don't take a research year. You'll end up at a very good program like a Penn or Michigan if you apply this year assuming you do well on aways and have solid letters.
(04-14-2019, 05:30 PM)Guest Wrote: Top-ish school (Ie. top 25, but not like a top-5). Yeah, no AOA for me. I think I'd be happy at any program where I was a good fit- not necessarily shooting for an 'elite' program.

Are you male or female?
(04-14-2019, 04:23 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-14-2019, 02:42 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thanks!

No one cares about AOA or clinical grades anymore. It used to be a marker of how hard you can work until PDs started valuing research more. There is subsequently a trade off between grades and research unless you have a PhD or research year.

Or until everyone realized clinical grades are a joke and started judging your work ethic based on sub-i performance

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)