Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to take a year off to do research?
(03-25-2017, 09:10 AM)Guest Wrote: Sorry if ignorant, is the average pubs per matched applicant in neurosurgery 15-16 now? including research/case report/review papers.
I thought this was only for stellar IMGs matching into the field after years of research.

So according to the 2016 Charting Outcomes, the "mean number of abstracts, presentations, and publications" for matched U.S. allopathic seniors is 13.4 (pg. 100), so this number doesn't take into account IMGs who may average more or less (I don't know what the average is for the other groups of applicants). The mean for unmatched U.S. allopathic seniors is still pretty high (8.4). As the other user mentioned, there's really no way to suss out what the breakdown is here, but I'd venture a guess that most people with this number have a 60/40 or greater split that is heavy on abstracts/posters/presentations, just because you can typically get more of these per experience than manuscripts. Conversely, yeah, there are studs who probably have 10 or more basic science pubs, especially if they've been heavily involved in research for a while. That's another thing to consider: basic takes longer than clinical takes longer than reviews/case reports, generally, and everyone knows this. What author you were and the quality of the publication are other factors that matter and will be considered but can't be quantified in Charting Outcomes. I personally try not to fret about the average and just work on making my own number as high as possible with the highest quality stuff I can.
(03-25-2017, 04:26 PM)dispo Wrote:
(03-25-2017, 09:10 AM)Guest Wrote: Sorry if ignorant, is the average pubs per matched applicant in neurosurgery 15-16 now? including research/case report/review papers.
I thought this was only for stellar IMGs matching into the field after years of research.

So according to the 2016 Charting Outcomes, the "mean number of abstracts, presentations, and publications" for matched U.S. allopathic seniors is 13.4 (pg. 100), so this number doesn't take into account IMGs who may average more or less (I don't know what the average is for the other groups of applicants). The mean for unmatched U.S. allopathic seniors is still pretty high (8.4). As the other user mentioned, there's really no way to suss out what the breakdown is here, but I'd venture a guess that most people with this number have a 60/40 or greater split that is heavy on abstracts/posters/presentations, just because you can typically get more of these per experience than manuscripts. Conversely, yeah, there are studs who probably have 10 or more basic science pubs, especially if they've been heavily involved in research for a while. That's another thing to consider: basic takes longer than clinical takes longer than reviews/case reports, generally, and everyone knows this. What author you were and the quality of the publication are other factors that matter and will be considered but can't be quantified in Charting Outcomes. I personally try not to fret about the average and just work on making my own number as high as possible with the highest quality stuff I can.

I'm the other user mentioned above--strongly agree with all of this. (n=2 on agreement with this statement, trying to build a little bit of significance here so you can assess how much you want to trust a given statement instead of just weighing a bunch of independent opinions.)
Where would a rising M3 or M4 look to find programs offering years out for research?
(03-27-2017, 08:19 PM)Guest Wrote: Where would a rising M3 or M4 look to find programs offering years out for research?

I think a lot of it is self-directed (i.e. via networking within your own school.) NIH has a one-year research fellowship for M2s and M3s, and then AANS might have some options on their website.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)