Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the "Low Tier" programs
(05-15-2019, 06:52 PM)Guest Wrote: Is mayo Jax really that hard to match into? ( apart from there only being one spot)

I interviewed there a couple of years ago and there was essentially no call and Cush as hell. So good training or not it’s pretty nice.
(05-15-2019, 08:54 PM)Cush Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 06:52 PM)Guest Wrote: Is mayo Jax really that hard to match into? ( apart from there only being one spot)

I interviewed there a couple of years ago and there was essentially no call and Cush as hell. So good training or not it’s pretty nice.

because of volume issue?
Any more info on the one a year programs?
(05-16-2019, 02:50 AM)Guest Wrote: Any more info on the one a year programs?

WVU and Temple are solid
No. Before the residency program started, they had an overwhelming amount of mid level help. That has not changed much as residents were added to the pool. Each month the juniors will have 2 overnight weekday calls (12h) and 2 overnight weekend calls (24h) and that’s it. Midlevels take the rest. Honestly a pretty sweet gig.
(05-17-2019, 09:52 AM)Guest Wrote: No. Before the residency program started, they had an overwhelming amount of mid level help. That has not changed much as residents were added to the pool. Each month the juniors will have 2 overnight weekday calls (12h) and 2 overnight weekend calls (24h) and that’s it. Midlevels take the rest. Honestly a pretty sweet gig.

Except for the fact that the midlevels still firmly believe they belong in the OR and fight the residents to make them do floor work. The interview with the NPs was very awkward. Once they figure that problem out (which they will, Dr. Q is on the residents side and that's all that matters) it'll be a great setup.

And the lack of call has nothing to do with lack of volume, more a lack of trauma. They essentially do a trauma rotation during PGY4 where you get all that experience, and outside of that don't have to deal with it. Which if you're not into trauma is ideal.
(05-17-2019, 09:52 AM)Guest Wrote: No. Before the residency program started, they had an overwhelming amount of mid level help. That has not changed much as residents were added to the pool. Each month the juniors will have 2 overnight weekday calls (12h) and 2 overnight weekend calls (24h) and that’s it. Midlevels take the rest. Honestly a pretty sweet gig.

To me, this is a red flag.  Call is painful, but it makes you better.  Most of my inpatient management was learned while on call.  How the hell are you going to know what to do when your future midlevel calls you overnight on your patient?  There's a certain point at which too much call becomes abuse, but you need to see the painful consults, the abnormal neuro exams, the terrible traumas, all of it - in order to know what you really need to operate on and take seriously.

Until this gets formally addressed, I wouldn't rotate or interview at this place.  "Private practice" residency programs are notorious for these problems.
(05-17-2019, 12:15 PM)Guest Wrote:

To me, this is a red flag.  Call is painful, but it makes you better.  Most of my inpatient management was learned while on call.  How the hell are you going to know what to do when your future midlevel calls you overnight on your patient?  There's a certain point at which too much call becomes abuse, but you need to see the painful consults, the abnormal neuro exams, the terrible traumas, all of it - in order to know what you really need to operate on and take seriously.

Until this gets formally addressed, I wouldn't rotate or interview at this place.  "Private practice" residency programs are notorious for these problems.

"Yes I paged you to let you know that patient xyz is afebrile and resting comfortably without pain..... Why did I call to tell you that?....Well I know you wanted to know if they were having fevers or pain so I just wanted to let you know they aren't...." 

Yes, call really helps hone your clinical management skills ?
(05-17-2019, 01:42 PM)Guest Wrote:

"Yes I paged you to let you know that patient xyz is afebrile and resting comfortably without pain..... Why did I call to tell you that?....Well I know you wanted to know if they were having fevers or pain so I just wanted to let you know they aren't...." 

Something tells me this poster's management is the same for any non-BS page in the future: "Have the hospitalist call the trauma center and transfer, I'm not comfortable managing this patient." Your call experience is this way either due to lack of experience with real call, or the nurses know any real page is above your knowledge level.
(05-17-2019, 01:42 PM)Guest Wrote:

You clearly have not taken real neurosurgery call. Anyone who has been through it would know that is where you gain your expertise in firsthand patient care. Good luck sitting at your desk reading about the zebra diseases but that won't make you a great doctor... If you want to be a real neurosurgeon, put in the work like everyone else. Neurosurgery is not about shortcuts.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)