Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NS Match: The unfair game
So I guess the take away message is that step scores are the only thing that matters unless you are famous.
Can't wait to look back on this thread in 20 years. Everyone has a path, everyone earns it in their own way. The fact this was even brought up is a shame and reflects negatively on all of us.

Let this thread die, and if you are really that "concerned" about these individuals I suggest you take a long look in the mirror and focus on what you see there. Let their work and your work do the talking.

Wishing the best to EVERYONE, matched or unmatched, even the trolls of this thread.
(03-19-2017, 07:22 AM)Guest Wrote: What did it say?  In theory, we are grown ups and should be able to discuss something inflammatory?  If there were ad hominem attacks, should those people be afforded a chance to defend themselves?
It was disgusting, the moderator did the right thing in deleting it. This guy is a coward, hiding behind the anonimity that he stripped from the people he trashed. 

You have something to say about someone specific? Be a real man (or woman) and level the field with your own identity as well.
(03-19-2017, 10:46 AM)Not about being grown ups... Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 07:22 AM)Guest Wrote: What did it say?  In theory, we are grown ups and should be able to discuss something inflammatory?  If there were ad hominem attacks, should those people be afforded a chance to defend themselves?
It was disgusting, the moderator did the right thing in deleting it. This guy is a coward, hiding behind the anonimity that he stripped from the people he trashed. 

You have something to say about someone specific? Be a real man (or woman) and level the field with your own identity as well.

Were you offended because it insinuated you may have gotten your spot based on a race or gender preference, yourself?
(03-19-2017, 10:41 AM)Guest Wrote: Can't wait to look back on this thread in 20 years.  Everyone has a path, everyone earns it in their own way.  The fact this was even brought up is a shame and reflects negatively on all of us.

Let this thread die, and if you are really that "concerned" about these individuals I suggest you take a long look in the mirror and focus on what you see there.  Let their work and your work do the talking.

Wishing the best to EVERYONE, matched or unmatched, even the trolls of this thread.

Could not agree more. The issue with this thread comes down to nothing more than the fundamental rules of respect and compassion that you learn in childhood. I'm always shocked with the relative lack of camaraderie in neurosurgery compared to other fields like ortho, especially given the demanding/unparalleled nature of the surgery world. Based on my experience with ortho surgeons, attendings show a tremendous amount of respect for both colleagues and medical students looking to enter the field. Some of the younger neurosurgeons I've worked with are like this but we still have a ways to go.

(03-19-2017, 10:50 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 10:46 AM)Not about being grown ups... Wrote:

Were you offended because it insinuated you may have gotten your spot based on a race or gender preference, yourself?

Do you really lack critical thinking skills that much to accept as fact some anonymous post that 1) is uncorroborated and 2) equates someone's race/gender as their reason for matching?
(03-19-2017, 10:53 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 10:41 AM)Guest Wrote: Can't wait to look back on this thread in 20 years.  Everyone has a path, everyone earns it in their own way.  The fact this was even brought up is a shame and reflects negatively on all of us.

Let this thread die, and if you are really that "concerned" about these individuals I suggest you take a long look in the mirror and focus on what you see there.  Let their work and your work do the talking.

Could not agree more. The issue with this thread comes down to nothing more than the fundamental rules of respect and compassion that you learn in childhood. I'm always shocked with the relative lack of camaraderie in neurosurgery compared to other fields like ortho, especially given the demanding/unparalleled nature of the surgery world. Based on my experience with ortho surgeons, attendings show a tremendous amount of respect for both colleagues and medical students looking to enter the field. Some of the younger neurosurgeons I've worked with are like this but we still have a ways to go.

This comes down to how they were brought up.  Orthobros were popular jock kids who played team sports.  Naturally, they are competitive, but do have that sense of belonging and need for teamwork and the support that comes with it.

Neurotards were the awkward bookish loner kid.  If anything maybe ran cross country or played some single-player dork sport like tennis or fencing.  They have a chip on their shoulder from being picked on their whole life, and now that they're finally in charge they are maniacal assholes like a bozo 3rd world dictator or African drug lord (not even big-time Colombian).  Unfortunately, every other neurosurgeon is that way too, so it's Machiavellianism juntas constantly stabbing one another in the back for perceived control.
They had a point. 209, very light research, but famous?

196?!?!! And a UC match because of a phone call? No integrity amongst pds these days

I should have mentioned in above post, these are the claims but with anonymity. Let's not be dicks and give out names.

(03-19-2017, 12:50 PM)Guest Wrote: They had a point. 209, very light research, but famous?

196?!?!! And a UC match because of a phone call? No integrity amongst pds these days

I should have mentioned in above post, these are the claims but with anonymity. Let's not be dicks and give out names.

Can we delete this too
(03-19-2017, 12:50 PM)Guest Wrote: They had a point. 209, very light research, but famous?

Can we delete this too

Absolutely not. This is very relevant to the discussion at hand and lets have an honest conversation here.
209 and famous?
196???

I find that extraordinarily unfair to the many other applicants, especially those who might have been better qualified but went unmatched.
How is 196 possible even with a phone call to a UC? I don't understand. Could the application have been perfect in all other regards? Honors, research, lors? Can discuss how in theory that could make up for a crap score? Could it?
More importantly, who gives a shit? Test scores only predict how good you are at taking tests, and denigrating your colleagues won't make the system anymore "fair," whatever that means.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)