Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NW/Rush
Heard that Lesniak gives garbage letters to applicants. True/false? I wanted to do an away there next year but not sure if I should shoot myself in the foot..
(12-15-2020, 07:53 PM)Guest Wrote: Heard that Lesniak gives garbage letters to applicants. True/false? I wanted to do an away there next year but not sure if I should shoot myself in the foot..

True
(12-15-2020, 07:53 PM)Guest Wrote: Heard that Lesniak gives garbage letters to applicants. True/false? I wanted to do an away there next year but not sure if I should shoot myself in the foot..

All the letters i've read from him are boilerplate, non-specific, not positive or negative. Unlike a different departmental leader in the Chicago area who has something negative to say in nearly every letter i've read from them.
(12-15-2020, 10:26 PM)Guest Wrote:

All the letters i've read from him are boilerplate, non-specific, not positive or negative. Unlike a different departmental leader in the Chicago area who has something negative to say in nearly every letter i've read from them.

amin-hanjani?
(12-16-2020, 06:10 AM)Guest Wrote:

amin-hanjani?

as an applicant reviewer it really defeats the purpose of a recommendation letter when every other medical student gets placed in the top 1% or 2-5% category. i think a lot of you guys are mistaking a "garbage" letter for an actually honest and useful letter and it once again reinforces the unreasonable "everyone gets a prize" expectation that a lot of current generation applicants have which will set them up for brutal disappointment in residency.
(12-16-2020, 07:37 AM)Guest Wrote:

amin-hanjani?

as an applicant reviewer it really defeats the purpose of a recommendation letter when every other medical student gets placed in the top 1% or 2-5% category. i think a lot of you guys are mistaking a "garbage" letter for an actually honest and useful letter and it once again reinforces the unreasonable "everyone gets a prize" expectation that a lot of current generation applicants have which will set them up for brutal disappointment in residency.

Yeah, the percentile rankings on the standardized letters seem kind of useless. A small fraction of those getting 1-5% are likely actually in that range. This many people being in the top 5% of medical students a LOR writer has ever seen in their whole career is kind of a ridiculous assertion and in reality would be very rare.
(12-16-2020, 07:37 AM)Guest Wrote:

amin-hanjani?

It’s ruining it for us true 1%ers

You don't have to ask chair for a letter. Usually the residents will suggest who is a good letter writer if they like you.
Heimberger to Northwestern. Great for research... but hasn't she like not operated for years at MD Anderson and just ran a lab?

amin-hanjani?

why does she do this?  why does she want to ruin people careers by finding fault in even the best students???

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)