Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving or up and coming programs
(05-22-2019, 07:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 06:46 PM)Guest Wrote: Ford? indiana?

+1 Indiana

OP asked for improving, not free falling
(05-23-2019, 12:28 AM)Guest Wrote:

+1 Indiana

Maybe not free falling but teetering on a tight rope. Indiana University splitting from Goodman Campbell would inevitably be bad news for their residency. 

https://www.ibj.com/articles/71047-iu-he...dependence
(05-24-2019, 10:16 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 12:28 AM)Guest Wrote:

+1 Indiana

Maybe not free falling but teetering on a tight rope. Indiana University splitting from Goodman Campbell would inevitably be bad news for their residency. 

https://www.ibj.com/articles/71047-iu-he...dependence

Article is a year behind. Split is  already happening, Barbaro was forced to step down and most of the attendings are planning on leaving. It's a real shame.
From personal experience as a sub-i, Louisville is a program ready to take huge strides. Neimat is a visionary leader with goals and the means to achieve them. I would have very happily matched there but ended up a few spots higher on my rank list, and will definitely miss all the residents and faculty there. Looking forward to seeing how they grow.
(05-25-2019, 05:39 PM)Guest Wrote: From personal experience as a sub-i, Louisville is a program ready to take huge strides. Neimat is a visionary leader with goals and the means to achieve them. I would have very happily matched there but ended up a few spots higher on my rank list, and will definitely miss all the residents and faculty there. Looking forward to seeing how they grow.

Second that. Had to go somewhere else for family reasons. Ranked it highly, anyone would be lucky to end up there. Niemat is gonna bring that program up to the top.
Neimat is a dynamic guy. I met him when I was a sub I at Vandy. Probably the best personality in the field bar none and was able to recruit some great young functional attendings like Englot to VUMC.

Only concern I have with programs like Louisville which have hit the reboot button in the past 5 years is that their leadership gets picked off to work at bigger, more established places. Look at Carter and UCSD. Places like USC, UCSF, UW, Penn, Columbia are all going to need new chairs in a few years. Wouldn't be surprised if Kalkanis and Neimat are attracted to be chairs at such places.
dmc will need a new chair
(05-25-2019, 05:39 PM)Guest Wrote: From personal experience as a sub-i, Louisville is a program ready to take huge strides. Neimat is a visionary leader with goals and the means to achieve them. I would have very happily matched there but ended up a few spots higher on my rank list, and will definitely miss all the residents and faculty there. Looking forward to seeing how they grow.

exact same here

(05-20-2019, 09:08 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 09:04 PM)Guest Wrote: I thought Rutgers, Louisville, MCG/Augusta and MUSC were pretty solid on the trail this year.

Musc lost a ton of  attendings so disagree

since when?
On the flip side any programs that are historically strong that are down-trending? Brigham and Emory maybe?
I rotated at Emory and did a 2nd look at BWH last year.  The difference in quality between the chiefs was...noticeable.  I probably don't have to tell you which ones operated like seasoned attendings and which ones looked like they needed 2-year fellowships after residency...

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)