Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving or up and coming programs
(05-26-2019, 08:36 PM)Guest Wrote: I rotated at Emory and did a 2nd look at BWH last year.  The difference in quality between the chiefs was...noticeable.  I probably don't have to tell you which ones operated like seasoned attendings and which ones looked like they needed 2-year fellowships after residency...

Yeah, without a spine program you need more training. 

A single day in the OR on a second look isn’t useful but thanks for the input. FWIW, BWH surpasses MGH in case volume this year for the first time in decades
(05-26-2019, 08:52 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 08:36 PM)Guest Wrote: I rotated at Emory and did a 2nd look at BWH last year.  The difference in quality between the chiefs was...noticeable.  I probably don't have to tell you which ones operated like seasoned attendings and which ones looked like they needed 2-year fellowships after residency...

A single day in the OR on a second look isn’t useful but thanks for the input. FWIW, BWH surpasses MGH in case volume this year for the first time in decades

Brigham is the JV team of the Harvard system. Once Laws and Cosgrove retire that place isn't worth ranking.

Emory still has a robust operative experience. Sure they don't have a top 5 spine program like they did in the 2000s but still above average.
Any word on Texas A&M/Scott and White?
(05-26-2019, 09:03 PM)Guest Wrote:

Brigham is the JV team of the Harvard system. Once Laws and Cosgrove retire that place isn't worth ranking.

Emory still has a robust operative experience. Sure they don't have a top 5 spine program like they did in the 2000s but still above average.

Once Cosgrove retires in 15 years it won’t be worth ranking. LOL!
(05-26-2019, 10:56 PM)Guest Wrote: Any word on Texas A&M/Scott and White?

Talked to a few people about it and they all said they got a weird feeling there and didn’t really like it. Seemed to be the least favorite Texas program.
(05-26-2019, 09:03 PM)Guest Wrote:

In the last year, BWH had one home-trained attending become a chairman, another one pick up an R01, and have the highest and most diverse volume in New England considering the skull base, vascular, spine, and pediatric experience. Juniors go q5-6 call since the research residents get paid moonlighting money to help cover call. It's one of the most up-trending programs in the country.
1) Dunn is a standout and could've been chair regardless of training at Brigham or not
2) If you train at Harvard it's not difficult to get an RO1
3) Flexibility and diversity of cases doesn't make up for the malignancy

When you talk about uptrending programs I wouldn't put it in the same class as NYU, Northwestern, UCLA.
On the topic of Dunn, I could not have been more impressed by a brand new chair than I was with him. His demeanor and respect for applicants really stood out to me, and I would have been excited to train under him if I had matched there.
(05-27-2019, 11:52 AM)Guest Wrote: 1) Dunn is a standout and could've been chair regardless of training at Brigham or not

When you talk about uptrending programs I wouldn't put it in the same class as NYU, Northwestern, UCLA.

What's the deal with NYU's volume? They claim to have the volume for 3/yr but are still 2-3-2 despite applying to expand every single year. Sub-Is from the past several cycles have told me their volume isn't 3/yr and certainly not the "firehose volume" they advertise during their interviews. Needing more bodies for scut isn't the same as operating more.
Plus, rumor is they're malignant as hell
(05-27-2019, 01:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 11:52 AM)Guest Wrote: 1) Dunn is a standout and could've been chair regardless of training at Brigham or not

What's the deal with NYU's volume? They claim to have the volume for 3/yr but are still 2-3-2 despite applying to expand every single year. Sub-Is from the past several cycles have told me their volume isn't 3/yr and certainly not the "firehose volume" they advertise during their interviews. Needing more bodies for scut isn't the same as operating more.
Plus, rumor is they're malignant as hell
Rumors are true. Look who has quit. PGY2s stay around in call room waiting for senior to finish operating before they go home

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)