Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving or up and coming programs
This thread is a little ridiculous and probably full of residents who are trashing what programs use to be like when they were on the interview trail.

Neither of the two programs discussed recently here (NYU, BWH) are malignant per many sub-I's last year. Advice to upcoming applicants is to trust your own sub-I experience and the experiences your co-applicants share with you about their sub-I's.
(05-27-2019, 02:18 PM)Guest Wrote: This thread is a little ridiculous and probably full of residents who are trashing what programs use to be like when they were on the interview trail.

Neither of the two programs discussed recently here (NYU, BWH) are malignant per many sub-I's last year. Advice to upcoming applicants is to trust your own sub-I experience and the experiences your co-applicants share with you about their sub-I's.

Seconded x 100
(05-27-2019, 01:49 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 01:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 11:52 AM)Guest Wrote: 1) Dunn is a standout and could've been chair regardless of training at Brigham or not
2) If you train at Harvard it's not difficult to get an RO1
3) Flexibility and diversity of cases doesn't make up for the malignancy

When you talk about uptrending programs I wouldn't put it in the same class as NYU, Northwestern, UCLA.

What's the deal with NYU's volume? They claim to have the volume for 3/yr but are still 2-3-2 despite applying to expand every single year. Sub-Is from the past several cycles have told me their volume isn't 3/yr and certainly not the "firehose volume" they advertise during their interviews. Needing more bodies for scut isn't the same as operating more.
Plus, rumor is they're malignant as hell
Rumors are true. Look who has quit. PGY2s stay around in call room waiting for senior to finish operating before they go home

Also heard a lot of tales about NYu from residents in other specialties. NYU may have a reputation for high volume, but seems to be somewhere where you sign up to take abuse

(05-27-2019, 02:18 PM)Guest Wrote: This thread is a little ridiculous and probably full of residents who are trashing what programs use to be like when they were on the interview trail.

I feel that just like how sub-is act their 100% best as much as humanly possible on sub-is, that it is not unreasonable to think that programs do the same. If they can't hold it together for a month while youre on, then sure, that place must be pretty bad - if they can, it doesnt mean they are benign. Residents from other programs corroborating these stories gives credence

Yea OK but what about their volume? They still are not 3/yr despite applying multiple times which means that they don't have the caseload to support that many residents. Columbia is approved for the same resident complement they are (2-3-2).
(05-28-2019, 12:32 AM)Guest Wrote:

Yea OK but what about their volume? They still are not 3/yr despite applying multiple times which means that they don't have the caseload to support that many residents. Columbia is approved for the same resident complement they are (2-3-2).

What’s relevant is the complement to volume ratio. Cornell for example just has 2 per year but has cases literally going uncovered daily, making it a great experience for the individual. 

And also, sub-I season is 4 months long. No program can hide malignancy or bad blood for four months. In my experience, they can’t even hold it together on a second look sometimes. 

When you say things like this, you do show that you’ve not thought out the meaning of something like what complement means for the individual resident.

(06-01-2018, 06:49 PM)Guest Wrote: Sub-i season is here. So let's hear some stories, either first hand or stuff you've heard, good or bad, do's and dont'
(05-26-2019, 06:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 05:39 PM)Guest Wrote: From personal experience as a sub-i, Louisville is a program ready to take huge strides. Neimat is a visionary leader with goals and the means to achieve them. I would have very happily matched there but ended up a few spots higher on my rank list, and will definitely miss all the residents and faculty there. Looking forward to seeing how they grow.

exact same here

(05-20-2019, 09:08 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 09:04 PM)Guest Wrote: I thought Rutgers, Louisville, MCG/Augusta and MUSC were pretty solid on the trail this year.

Musc lost a ton of  attendings so disagree

since when?
Last fall 3 of their neuroendovascular attendings left to go to Greenville. They even took the fellow with them in the middle of the year.
MUSC is cool if you want to live in Charleston but no other reason to train there. Many better quality training programs in the southeast.
(05-28-2019, 08:35 PM)Guest Wrote: MUSC is cool if you want to live in Charleston but no other reason to train there. Many better quality training programs in the southeast.

Name one
(05-28-2019, 09:13 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 08:35 PM)Guest Wrote: MUSC is cool if you want to live in Charleston but no other reason to train there. Many better quality training programs in the southeast.

Name one

Emory, UAB, UF, USF, Miami, Duke, UNC, Tennessee, Vandy.
NYU - there's a big-time douche spine guy and a horribly malignant general guy full of bad advice, otherwise its fairly benign

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)