Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving or up and coming programs
NYU on the trail two years ago was all the rage. Have things changed since Riina isn't PD anymore?
(06-02-2019, 05:00 PM)Guest Wrote: NYU on the trail two years ago was all the rage. Have things changed since Riina isn't PD anymore?

It felt very extravagant and NYC is NYC, however the program had these weird undertones of aggression and malignancy. Also, and people need to really understand this, NYU has that 3 year program that saves spots in residency for people that are NYU med students. The thing that was annoying about the interview this year was that they were not honest about it. So of two spots only one was available, and with home students...not really worth the trouble anymore.
(06-04-2019, 10:56 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 05:00 PM)Guest Wrote: NYU on the trail two years ago was all the rage. Have things changed since Riina isn't PD anymore?

It felt very extravagant and NYC is NYC, however the program had these weird undertones of aggression and malignancy. Also, and people need to really understand this, NYU has that 3 year program that saves spots in residency for people that are NYU med students. The thing that was annoying about the interview this year was that they were not honest about it. So of two spots only one was available, and with home students...not really worth the trouble anymore.
Agreed. They very dishonest this year about available spots
Programs wouldn't voluntarily disclose which spots are locked. It'd be borderline match violation.

I don't think it's worth rotating here for more than a letter... they apparently have quite a few internal applicants this upcoming year.
(06-04-2019, 08:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Programs wouldn't voluntarily disclose which spots are locked. It'd be borderline match violation.

I don't think it's worth rotating here for more than a letter... they apparently have quite a few internal applicants this upcoming year.

True. Especially since at least one of them is likely to be a 3yr MD with a contractually locked spot, with all those home students the chances of coming from outside NYU, even with a sub-I, is slim to none.
I did an away at NYU later in the season and it was an overall good experience but no face time with chair. Ended up matching at another top east coast program. PD was a good guy but not well known and his letter didn't open any doors imo. I was cool interacting with giants like Kondziolka and Sen. The residents are all really impressive individuals but felt like a bunch of superstars but not much collegiality. They do have a considerable amount of internal interest from their med students.

If you're interested in NYC I'd recommend Columbia or Mount Sinai for the letter. NYU is a great program to be a resident but if you're looking to "open up" a region idk if this is the place to do it.

On the topic of up and coming programs I think Einstein is impressive. Eskandar is an amazing neurosurgeon and would recommend training there.
Speaking of NYC- what’s the word on Cornell/MSK
(06-06-2019, 07:42 AM)Guest Wrote: Speaking of NYC- what’s the word on Cornell/MSK

Very solid for tumor with up and coming functional, more academic than operative. Got good but not amazing vibes when I interviewed there. Though as previous poster mentioned, Eskander may be a game changer for functional in NYC, though I find it very difficult to see Einstein competing with the big boys down in manhattan in any meaningful way.
(06-06-2019, 07:42 AM)Guest Wrote: Speaking of NYC- what’s the word on Cornell/MSK

Didn't they have someone quit/get fired?
Gonna throw Northwestern in as a place that's already established but has an upward trajectory with Lesniak. The incoming interns were among the best applicants on the trail bar none.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)