Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Carson?
(05-22-2019, 06:14 PM)UGuest Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 05:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Unfortunately any opinions of Carson are biased by politics. Hence, you have the right hailing him as a brilliant surgeon/thinker, and you have the left reporting only on how he misheard “Oreo” and purchased expensive furniture. Everyone has an agenda.

I don’t think the left only complain about those two things. And even though as neurosurgeons we are highly compensated, 31K for a dining set as a public servant is absurd. Especially when the person who caught this was demoted for speaking up. Regardless of political party we can all agree that he is not qualified for the position he’s now in and has also not done anything meaningful with it.  

Let’s also not forget that in one of his first speeches he claimed that the brain is “incapable of forgetting” and can be “electrically stimulated into perfect recall.” It doesn’t take a neurosurgeon to put two and two together with something like that... 

So ya, I don’t like how he’s negatively affected the perception of this field. Just like how I don’t like the others who have cheated and conned the system to their benefit (this isn’t just limited to insurance fraud either). The only difference is that Carson has a much wider zone of reach and that is scary.

31K for a dining set as a public servant is absurd”

>concerned about corruption
>31K 

Oh you sweet summer child

(05-22-2019, 06:26 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 06:14 PM)UGuest Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 05:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Unfortunately any opinions of Carson are biased by politics. Hence, you have the right hailing him as a brilliant surgeon/thinker, and you have the left reporting only on how he misheard “Oreo” and purchased expensive furniture. Everyone has an agenda.

I don’t think the left only complain about those two things. And even though as neurosurgeons we are highly compensated, 31K for a dining set as a public servant is absurd. Especially when the person who caught this was demoted for speaking up. Regardless of political party we can all agree that he is not qualified for the position he’s now in and has also not done anything meaningful with it.  

Let’s also not forget that in one of his first speeches he claimed that the brain is “incapable of forgetting” and can be “electrically stimulated into perfect recall.” It doesn’t take a neurosurgeon to put two and two together with something like that... 

So ya, I don’t like how he’s negatively affected the perception of this field. Just like how I don’t like the others who have cheated and conned the system to their benefit (this isn’t just limited to insurance fraud either). The only difference is that Carson has a much wider zone of reach and that is scary.

31K for a dining set as a public servant is absurd”

>concerned about corruption
>31K 

Oh you sweet summer child

His book was bullshit. Belt buckle blocks knife, scholarship that didn’t exist, consider the worst of both options and avoid the worst o e. I read it when I was 12 and thought it was weak. Just a media celebrity
(05-22-2019, 06:14 PM)Guest Wrote:

Yeah, true I agree overall. But I wouldn't go as far as to say "we can all agree that he is not qualified." I think judgments of qualification are inherently subjective and value-laden. There really isn't any objective standard. Although you and I don't agree with them, there's definitely people out there who think he's qualified (we've all seen physicians who are completely incompetent in things they should know). But yes, the point still stands that our inner political and religious biases affect our perception of others and their worth -- which is the unfortunate ultimate reality. And frankly, I couldn't care less about his personal views on creationism or what he said in his book. As a surgeon, I'll judge him on his outcomes and contributions to the field.
His book is absolute nonsense, so are most of the things that come out of his mouth.

It's possible for someone to be great at one singular activity, and also be an idiot.
(05-22-2019, 08:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 06:14 PM)Guest Wrote:

Yeah, true I agree overall. But I wouldn't go as far as to say "we can all agree that he is not qualified." I think judgments of qualification are inherently subjective and value-laden. There really isn't any objective standard. Although you and I don't agree with them, there's definitely people out there who think he's qualified (we've all seen physicians who are completely incompetent in things they should know). But yes, the point still stands that our inner political and religious biases affect our perception of others and their worth -- which is the unfortunate ultimate reality. And frankly, I couldn't care less about his personal views on creationism or what he said in his book. As a surgeon, I'll judge him on his outcomes and contributions to the field.

Many words to say nothing
Carson tweets in reply to Ilhan Omar how he knows how it is to be sleepy after 18 hour surgeries and operating on babies in the womb. Sad that he’s really holding on to what he did as a surgeon as if that justifies what he does now. Then in that same tweet he says how he cares about all people. This comes right after he changed a rule to protect housing rights for transgender people. Which is right after he told the Virginia representative he had no foreseeable intentions to change anything. And yet he does the very next day and then says he didn’t understand her question.
1. Neurosurgeons judge him largely on his surgical accomplishments.
2. Half the country loves him regardless of what he does/says (and only brings up his positives).
3. Half the country hates him regardless of what he does/says (and only brings up his negatives).

Welcome to America, where splitting and bias masquerade as “non-ignorance.”
(05-24-2019, 11:43 AM)Guest Wrote: Carson tweets in reply to Ilhan Omar how he knows how it is to be sleepy after 18 hour surgeries and operating on babies in the womb. Sad that he’s really holding on to what he did as a surgeon as if that justifies what he does now. Then in that same tweet he says how he cares about all people. This comes right after he changed a rule to protect housing rights for transgender people. Which is right after he told the Virginia representative he had no foreseeable intentions to change anything. And yet he does the very next day and then says he didn’t understand her question.

Yes. Gender-affirmation neurosurgery needs more champions
(05-24-2019, 04:03 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 11:43 AM)Guest Wrote: Carson tweets in reply to Ilhan Omar how he knows how it is to be sleepy after 18 hour surgeries and operating on babies in the womb. Sad that he’s really holding on to what he did as a surgeon as if that justifies what he does now. Then in that same tweet he says how he cares about all people. This comes right after he changed a rule to protect housing rights for transgender people. Which is right after he told the Virginia representative he had no foreseeable intentions to change anything. And yet he does the very next day and then says he didn’t understand her question.

Or at least less bigots

^THIS

“Gender-affirmation neurosurgery” = lobotomy

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)