Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Co-First Author
How do PDs/interviewers/academicians generally view significant papers with co-first authorship? For eg. a basic science project. Any difference in first first vs second first?
Go for first name on the paper. No one is going to delve into details about co-first.
I disagree, you can denote co-authorship on your cv.
It stinks when you are the second of co-first author, but its usually not worth burning a bridge with your PI.

On 20+ interviews, I discussed my co-first author papers as my own, and no one challenged me on it or made a remark about the cofirst authorship. Only at one place in the mid-Atlantic was I challenged with "I see you have a lot of coauthors, but not many first authors. How can we know if you are capable of independent research". I just pushed back by pointing out that two of my papers were co-first authors and then discussed my role in developing the hypothesis and project.

Cofirst author may have had an effect during the application screening but I don't think it did on the interview trail.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)