Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New leaders
We all know the older generation of stars such as Berger, Muraszko, Spetzler, Brem, etc. 

Who are the leaders among the mid-career crowd? I've heard Chang, Abla, Aghi, Kalkanis, Sharan, Abosch, Hoh.
(06-10-2019, 06:09 PM)Dholla Wrote: We all know the older generation of stars such as Berger, Muraszko, Spetzler, Brem, etc. 

Who are the leaders among the mid-career crowd? I've heard Chang, Abla, Aghi, Kalkanis, Sharan, Abosch, Hoh.

Heard from who? UCSF med students?
(06-10-2019, 06:09 PM)Dholla Wrote: We all know the older generation of stars such as Berger, Muraszko, Spetzler, Brem, etc. 

This begs the question of what makes a “neurosurgery leader”. 
I think there are three categories that we measure these leaders

1) clinical or technical mastery. Can be independent of the other two categories but would not be as well known. 

2) research mastery. Same as above but publications and presentations do increase our cache. 

3) master of self promotion.  Many of the really big names are great at all three categories; while others that are deemed leaders simple excel here.
Who are THE ppl to get letters from?
(06-10-2019, 10:56 PM)Guest Wrote: Who are THE ppl to get letters from?

There's really no one person whose letters are above the rest. Everyone knows the giants in the field (i.e. Lawton, Berger, etc.) don't write or even read the letters they give out.

"THE" letter to get is one from any chair that stands out. If you can get a chair to write you something about you that stands out from the 100s of letters they've written before that's the letter that means something.
(06-11-2019, 11:11 AM)Guest Wrote:

There's really no one person whose letters are above the rest. Everyone knows the giants in the field (i.e. Lawton, Berger, etc.) don't write or even read the letters they give out.

"THE" letter to get is one from any chair that stands out. If you can get a chair to write you something about you that stands out from the 100s of letters they've written before that's the letter that means something.

Having been at a large, East Coast, program, get to know/befriend the senior residents.  I ghost wrote all of my chairman's letters for two years.
(06-11-2019, 06:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 11:11 AM)Guest Wrote:

Having been at a large, East Coast, program, get to know/befriend the senior residents.  I ghost wrote all of my chairman's letters for two years.

It's much more common than I thought it was when I was interviewing. There are some big names that I know or heard write their own letters (Ellenboggen, Barbaro, Murazko, Batjer), but i'd say a majority of the time a senior resident is ghost writing them.
A chair at a prominent east coast place asked me what I wanted to have written about me. Another peer place apparently wrote two sentences.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)