Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayyyy over hours on subinternships (100-110+)
Work-life balance isn't real. Don't expect to have a life outside the hospital except during your research time. A light day is 14hrs.

Something to note on the trail and sub-Is is the quality of life of the residents at the programs you're interviewing at. Do they get along? Are they overtly miserable or downtrodden? Is the teaching culture intact?
Anecdotally, I found the whole "don't expect to have a life" thing way overblown. I'm at what most consider a hard working program and I still get some golden weekends, i can be home for a late dinner on about half of weekdays, still get the 4 weeks of vacation a year. On busy weeks i'll go >100hrs, but that's not every week.

Few programs go 120-140hrs/week anymore. It's true you need to temper expectations and expect to work much harder than other specialties, but you'll still get a couple days a month to recharge and spend quality time with friends and family.
4 weeks of vacation!!?
(06-13-2019, 05:39 PM)Guest Wrote: 4 weeks of vacation!!?

A few places I interviewed at had 4 weeks. Definitely the minority.
4 weeks Vacation= 4 weeks dedicated research time amiright?
research is for the birds
(06-11-2019, 10:21 PM)Guest Wrote: I don't mind as a subintern, but it has me wondering what 7 years will be like. Can anyone else relate?
yes you should wonder why you are there. its not too late. do something else for a living. spare yourself and your patients.
(06-13-2019, 06:09 PM)Guest Wrote:

USC and Michigan have 4 weeks. My program has 3 weeks plus a few days around Dec/Jan at the service chief’s discretion, so about 3.5 weeks off
(06-13-2019, 06:09 PM)Guest Wrote:

All 19 places i interviewed at had 4 weeks. 2 of them had 3 weeks intern year, 4 the rest.
Where are you doing sub-Is working 110 hrs a week? Both of mine were 5-7, one day off a week. Maybe working 90hrs on average.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)