Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS SCORE
Hello, 

I did not pass CS on my first attempt. Does anyone know or have any experience on how this will affect my application?
Honestly, it's a fairly big red flag. That test is usually very easy (>95% pass rate for first time US test takers). It's not a deal breaker, as long as your other scores are competitive, but I would take it again and pass it quickly.
ok thanks for telling me
(06-19-2019, 09:48 PM)nsgapplicant1 Wrote: Hello, 

I did not pass CS on my first attempt. Does anyone know or have any experience on how this will affect my application?

Hey. I matched this year at a highly ranked academic program. I took CS in November and found out that I failed at the end of January. By then I had already finished interviews, and was actually planning second looks. Talked to my administration and they basically said study so that you pass it the second time, but that it shouldn't adversely affect my application. Nobody asked about it on my second looks, or anything else. I matched at my number 1, a program that you wouldn't think people with issues passing CS would make it to. My advice is yeah, its tough, and more so because you are in the beginning of the application cycle and not the end, but I would try and identify where you went wrong (for me it was the integrated clinical encounter), brush up on it (I used the CS book and went through it closely and did the cases), and then take it again as soon as you can. Im not certain about this, but if you can get it done soon and release the score you may be alright. There is an app whose name im forgetting but it will scan the schedule for openings close to you very soon, and will sign you up. I was able to take it again 2 weeks after I found out I failed. Good luck, and keep your head up. Neurosurgery has a lot of hype around it, but at the end of the day shit happens, people understand.
Thanks for the extensive write up, I had trouble in the same area. I’m def in a tougher spot since I’m at the start of the cycle Sad. Hoping it’s not a reason I fail to get enough interviews.
99% of programs won't care whether you upload your step 2 scores. Out of the 60 I applied to only 1 mentioned it pre-interview, and only 1 mentioned it at the interview. Just don't upload them, retake it, pass, don't mention the fail unless specifically asked.
(06-20-2019, 08:41 PM)Guest Wrote: 99% of programs won't care whether you upload your step 2 scores. Out of the 60 I applied to only 1 mentioned it pre-interview, and only 1 mentioned it at the interview. Just don't upload them, retake it, pass, don't mention the fail unless specifically asked.

You can't "not upload" them if you've already taken the test AND they released your score, because the NBME directly sends your entire USMLE transcript to programs. This is exactly why students with high step 1 scores are always told to delay, delay, and delay step 2. It does absolutely nothing for you and can only hurt you as evidenced in this case.
Your chances are now 0. No joke, this is it. Huge red flag. Sorry
ok thank you for your input, i understand
(06-21-2019, 11:43 AM)Guest Wrote: ok thank you for your input, i understand

Heya, I'm the respondent with the failed late CS. While I agree that this situation is tough, there are many things that people say are non-starters with the match which turn out to just be subjective opinions from people who haven't gone through it. Neurosurgery, thankfully, is not as militant or elitist as people on the forum would suggest. I think your best course of action is to talk to your department. Pick your chair/PD's brain about how it will affect your chances, how they would view it, and if there is a way to mitigate it. Another resource is the coordinator for your department. They most likely have a hand in the initial screening in some way, and may also have an opinion on it based on the likely thousands of apps they have seen. My coordinator was really helpful for general do's and don'ts before I entered the match. People would tell you, for example, that a step 1<240 means you absolutely should not apply, and yet people seem to go to superb programs without getting remotely close to jumping that hurdle. Nothing in this world is absolute. The people that can help you the most are IRL, not here. Good luck, get help because you aren't alone, and hopefully we see you this year.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)