Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS SCORE
Hey there, i am the original poster. I only solicited advice here because I do not have a department to obtain advice from. I wish there was a way for me to be in touch with you. Please inbox me if you have an account. I would be thankful
(06-21-2019, 09:56 PM)10blade Wrote: Hey there, i am the original poster. I only solicited advice here because I do not have a department to obtain advice from. I wish there was a way for me to be in touch with you. Please inbox me if you have an account. I would be thankful

How strong is the rest of your app? Board scores, research, when are your aways? Are you signed up for a re-take?
Why did you fail? You will need to explain this in your application and at every interview.
Hey buddy. First, do not listen to some of morons here. The worst part about this field is those who have sub-zero experience in reviewing applications and just because they have egos they want to show that they know stuff. Second, do not tell your department or ask anyone in your school for advice. You are smart enough to know what is needed. We are not talking about a mediocre applicant who is applying to internal medicine or family medicine - with all respect - and seeking advice just to match. Here we are talking about someone who is smart enough and did well in school except that for some reason he/she didn't pass step 2 CS...surprises always happen, it's life. Do NOT tell anyone. Just play like nothing happened. You don't want to open eyes on you...and sometimes regardless how much your department like you if you open their eyes on a major red flag (which is a stupid exam) this might hurt your chances at your own place. Just have a reasonable answer to be ready when asked for interviews...a smart answer that that can make you dominate and get you out from the weak zone.
What I can say from my experience years into this, many programs review all applications, others have cutoff and automatic filters. Will this hurt you? might be. Will this prevent you from matching if you do well in the rest of your application? No. Will submitting an application without having it taken again and passed hurt your chances? most likely.

Study well for the exam. Take it on a date that you can have the score released before 9/15. If you cannot and have aways and more important stuff, then delay it. Screwing your sub-is and getting bad letters is much worse than having a failure on your CS. However, the ideal scenario if you can take it and pass it before 9/15 because on the first page in your application board scores are listed just below your biographic data:
Board Scores
Score Type Score Weight Total
USMLE Step 1 258 x 1.00 258
USMLE Step 2 CK 268 x 1.00 268
USMLE Step 2 CS Pass
USMLE Step 3 x 1.00
COMLEX-USA Level 1 x 1.00
COMLEX-USA Level 2 CE x 1.00
COMLEX-USA Level 2 PE
COMLEX-USA Level 3 x 1.00

Upon checking on CS reporting schedule, you have to take it by 7/13 to guarantee score by 9/15. If you already signed up for sub-i in July, try to postpone it to Sep/Oct or even cancel it if you already completed a sub-i in June and have another one in August. Try to find any date for the second week of July at any center in those 5 states. Even if you have to fly to a far state and stay at a hotel to do it. Wasting another $2000-2500 are totally worth it and way better than not matching.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in anything else. Let's keep this field great and clean from those gossipers and egos who destroyed almost every beauty in this field
(06-21-2019, 08:56 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 11:43 AM)Guest Wrote: ok thank you for your input, i understand

Heya, I'm the respondent with the failed late CS. While I agree that this situation is tough, there are many things that people say are non-starters with the match which turn out to just be subjective opinions from people who haven't gone through it. Neurosurgery, thankfully, is not as militant or elitist as people on the forum would suggest. I think your best course of action is to talk to your department. Pick your chair/PD's brain about how it will affect your chances, how they would view it, and if there is a way to mitigate it. Another resource is the coordinator for your department. They most likely have a hand in the initial screening in some way, and may also have an opinion on it based on the likely thousands of apps they have seen. My coordinator was really helpful for general do's and don'ts before I entered the match. People would tell you, for example, that a step 1<240 means you absolutely should not apply, and yet people seem to go to superb programs without getting remotely close to jumping that hurdle. Nothing in this world is absolute. The people that can help you the most are IRL, not here. Good luck, get help because you aren't alone, and hopefully we see you this year.

For instance Yale has 2 residents with Step 1 below 220
(07-06-2019, 12:39 AM)Guest Wrote:

Heya, I'm the respondent with the failed late CS. While I agree that this situation is tough, there are many things that people say are non-starters with the match which turn out to just be subjective opinions from people who haven't gone through it. Neurosurgery, thankfully, is not as militant or elitist as people on the forum would suggest. I think your best course of action is to talk to your department. Pick your chair/PD's brain about how it will affect your chances, how they would view it, and if there is a way to mitigate it. Another resource is the coordinator for your department. They most likely have a hand in the initial screening in some way, and may also have an opinion on it based on the likely thousands of apps they have seen. My coordinator was really helpful for general do's and don'ts before I entered the match. People would tell you, for example, that a step 1<240 means you absolutely should not apply, and yet people seem to go to superb programs without getting remotely close to jumping that hurdle. Nothing in this world is absolute. The people that can help you the most are IRL, not here. Good luck, get help because you aren't alone, and hopefully we see you this year.

Exactly. Same with Duke, Hopkins, MGH, Mayo, UW, etc etc etc. What decides your candidacy will not be your step 1 score even if you do get interviews. It’ll be who you are as a person
Step 1 alone isn't going to get you into one of the premier research programs in the country but I'd argue it's still in the top 3 most important application factors, the other two being letters and research. If you're an MD PhD or had won a research fellowship, and coming from a top med school then you're a shoo-in for a great program.
(07-06-2019, 03:05 PM)Guest Wrote: Step 1 alone isn't going to get you into one of the premier research programs in the country but I'd argue it's still in the top 3 most important application factors, the other two being letters and research. If you're an MD PhD or had won a research fellowship, and coming from a top med school then you're a shoo-in for a great program.

Even with a suboptimal Step 1 score?
(07-06-2019, 10:41 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 12:39 AM)Guest Wrote:

Exactly. Same with Duke, Hopkins, MGH, Mayo, UW, etc etc etc. What decides your candidacy will not be your step 1 score even if you do get interviews. It’ll be who you are as a person

No, just Yale
No, sorry, the schools I mentioned as well. It’s truly a strange world.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)