Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applicant for academic programs?
What does the normal applicant at a top research-heavy program look like aside from being from a top-10 school?

If you're not from a top-10 school and don't have a PhD do you even have a shot?

Are there diminishing returns for step score at these programs (ie. after 250 it doesn't matter) or will they only look at you if you get something ungodly like 265+?

I've done significant research and I can't imagine my life without it. I really want to end up somewhere where I can continue with that. Just wondering how realistic it is from a mid-tier school (w/ home program).
1) Strong basic science research or clinical papers in high-impact journals such as Lancet or JAMA

2) Yes if you have high stats and good letters, or have made a strong impression at one of these places during a SubI

3) Yes in terms of a 270 probably doesn't get you an interview at Columbia/UCSF/MGH more than a 255 does.

4) People from mid-tier programs match at top places at a respectable rate (although many might be PhDs). Look at resident rosters at Mayo, Pitt, Barrow, Emory. These places have a high % of residents from top places because it is much easier to match at a top program from a top medical school.

If you're hell-bent on matching at a top program coming from a mid-tier medical school you might be disappointed come next March. If you're a strong applicant w/o deficiencies in board score, research, and away performances then you should be happy where you end up

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)