Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step score going up
Hi, I’m a rising sophomore I’m college and I’m getting in as much research as possible l, by the time I get to lend school I worry that the average step 1 score for NS will rise and possibly exceed 255, is this a realistic possibility or am I just overreacting? Will neurosurgery competitiveness decrease due to the growing interest in “lifestyle” specialties?
Thanks

(07-15-2019, 06:54 PM)Yes  Guest Wrote: Hi, I’m a rising sophomore I’m college and I’m getting in as much research as possible l, by the time I get to lend school I worry that the average step 1 score for NS will rise and possibly exceed 255, is this a realistic possibility or am I just overreacting? Will neurosurgery competitiveness decrease due to the growing interest in “lifestyle” specialties?
Thanks
*med not lend
I'd quit now if I were you
Step 1 will probably be pass/fail by the time you get to med school, but you can go ahead and keep worrying if it makes you feel better.
"I'm a rising sophomore in college"

L o l
(07-15-2019, 08:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Step 1 will probably be pass/fail by the time you get to med school, but you can go ahead and keep worrying if it makes you feel better.

How besides research does one separate themselves in that case? Is this something that is really being considered?
(07-15-2019, 09:29 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 08:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Step 1 will probably be pass/fail by the time you get to med school, but you can go ahead and keep worrying if it makes you feel better.

How besides research does one separate themselves in that case? Is this something that is really being considered?

Yep. This is currently an active proposal within the AAMC subcommittees that is going to be put to a vote by the NBME later this year. Under that scenario, the only things that will matter for all residency programs will be 1) Where you attend medical school and 2) How many publications do you have. Better study up for that MCAT..
Would this be seen as an advantage or disadvantage to the medical school students applying to residency
(07-15-2019, 10:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Would this be seen as an advantage or disadvantage to the medical school students applying to residency

From my perspective, a huge disadvantage. People always complain about neurosurgery being elitist and favoring students from top med schools. This would be infinitely amplified if Step 1 were made pass/fail, because it currently weeds out weak students who just happened to get into a great med school and gives strong students at lower ranked schools an opportunity to be noticed. Without it, the entire field would essentially exclude lower tier MD students and nepotism would run rampant (to a much worse extent than it does now).
Is it likely to become pass fail and where can I read about this
I second this^^^

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)