Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs in this cycle
It’s tough to explain to someone what education in residency is like, but if you go in with the expectation that you will be formerly taught how to operate you are likely to be disappointed. There are some amazing surgical educators out there that will literally walk you through an entire procedure, but sadly these people are rare no matter where you go. Most of your learning comes from watching someone do a procedure, then executing it yourself when you are given the opportunity. The places quoted above with “great autonomy” have it because the surgeons there run multiple rooms; when they are busy in one you are expected to move the case forward in the other. It’s rare that during a busy day they will take the time to watch you struggle if you haven’t made progress, mainly because the case(s) just need to get done. When you do get to operate you often make mistakes, especially at first, and learn from them for the next time. When the case is over you have to replay everything in your head, go to anatomy text books to make sense of things, etc. Bottom line, essentially 99% of your education is going to be self-directed, and if you don’t realize this early you are likely to struggle.
do you think programs are going to take more home applicants this year?
(05-20-2020, 09:07 PM)Guest Wrote: do you think programs are going to take more home applicants this year?

Undoubtedly
Can anyone talk about the ohio program? CCF/Case/OSU/Cincy
About thoughts on Louisiana programs? Anil Nanda etc
(05-20-2020, 11:45 PM)Guest Wrote: About thoughts on Louisiana programs? Anil Nanda etc

anil nanda is chair at rutgers
(05-20-2020, 11:45 PM)Guest Wrote: About thoughts on Louisiana programs? Anil Nanda etc

Nanda is gone, Shreveport is probably rebuilding. LSU is stuck in a rut. Tulane/Ochsner on the rise with Aaron Dumont at the helm, and they recently hired Shane Tubbs.
(05-20-2020, 10:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Can anyone talk about the ohio program? CCF/Case/OSU/Cincy

In my experience meeting fellow residents From each of these places at courses, all four places have solid training, and all the residents I’ve met from them have been quite competent and knowledgeable. Also was impressed with Case facilities and faculty during time time I’ve spent there for courses, and was impressed with Ohio State and CCF the same during fellowship interviews. All of them are solid, well rounded options for residency training.
Good to see Lemole is finally out in Tucson. Total Turd.
(05-21-2020, 01:13 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 10:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Can anyone talk about the ohio program? CCF/Case/OSU/Cincy

In my experience meeting fellow residents From each of these places at courses, all four places have solid training, and all the residents I’ve met from them have been quite competent and knowledgeable. Also was impressed with Case facilities and faculty during time time I’ve spent there for courses, and was impressed with Ohio State and CCF the same during fellowship interviews. All of them are solid, well rounded options for residency training.

CCF- Strong, well-rounded clinical experience. Great hospital and faculty mentoring across all subspecialties. Residents are approachable and impressive clinically. Decent amount of fellows but doesn't subtract from the resident experience.

OSU- High volume, very busy program. Lonser has been doing a fantastic job growing the program especially in the research domain. Great culture. Residents and faculty get along more than most places I've interviewed at.

Cinci- Cheng has done a nice job reconstructing the program after the split with Mayfield. Nice group of residents and faculty. Liked the city a lot.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)