Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs in this cycle
(07-05-2020, 08:17 PM)Guest Wrote: UCSD is not good but Ames is heading over there within few months. Excited to see what it brings. He's a great surgeon, great leader, and great human being all around. One of their new faculty trained under him as well.

Lol he’s not going to UCSD. Stop posting retarded bullshit here.
Whats wrong w khalessi? Seems personable from his interviews
(08-01-2020, 11:30 PM)Guest Wrote: Whats wrong w khalessi? Seems personable from his interviews

I hear illegal billing practices
Anyone here inclined to attend the GW virtual meet and greet?? thoughts? past experiences? I heard there's a new program director and new changes...???
(08-06-2020, 02:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Anyone here inclined to attend the GW virtual meet and greet?? thoughts? past experiences? I heard there's a new program director and new changes...???

ill attend it and let you know if you miss anything Smile
People always talk about how programs across the board have similar training and you will graduate as a competent neurosurgeon from any accredited program.

Are there any drawbacks to matching at a smaller program in terms of academic placement, research opportunities, organized medicine, etc? Or are all of those achievable at smaller programs with enough effort? I'm asking because the smaller a program is, the more it seems to place graduates into private practice. Not sure if it's cultural or due to lack of opportunities available leading to a lack of job offers from academic institutions

On the flip side, are there any distinct advantages to going to a smaller program?
(03-17-2021, 08:07 PM)Guest Wrote: People always talk about how programs across the board have similar training and you will graduate as a competent neurosurgeon from any accredited program.

Are there any drawbacks to matching at a smaller program in terms of academic placement, research opportunities, organized medicine, etc? Or are all of those achievable at smaller programs with enough effort? I'm asking because the smaller a program is, the more it seems to place graduates into private practice. Not sure if it's cultural or due to lack of opportunities available leading to a lack of job offers from academic institutions

On the flip side, are there any distinct advantages to going to a smaller program?

You can graduate from a smaller program and make it in academics or organized neurosurgery, it will just take a little more effort and you'll essentially be frameshifted back 5 years compared to your colleagues at flagship academic hospitals. Neurosurgery is also a field addicted to prestige, for better or worse, so you have to be honest with what your own priorities are.

We all know the downsides of going to a smaller program, but an advantage is that you cannot hide. In 3-4/year programs, it can sometimes be easier to fly below the radar for an individual, and perhaps stick with 1-2 attendings in an apprenticeship model. That can make an excellent tumor neurosurgeon who is awful at spine. It happens, I've seen it. In smaller programs the work has to be complete and there are only so few hands. That means every resident has to clip aneurysms and fuse spines through their chief year.

If you want to make it in academic neurosurgery, try to match at an academic program, and if you don't, you can pave a path forward if you want it.
(03-17-2021, 09:49 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 08:07 PM)Guest Wrote: People always talk about how programs across the board have similar training and you will graduate as a competent neurosurgeon from any accredited program.

You can graduate from a smaller program and make it in academics or organized neurosurgery, it will just take a little more effort and you'll essentially be frameshifted back 5 years compared to your colleagues at flagship academic hospitals. Neurosurgery is also a field addicted to prestige, for better or worse, so you have to be honest with what your own priorities are.

We all know the downsides of going to a smaller program, but an advantage is that you cannot hide. In 3-4/year programs, it can sometimes be easier to fly below the radar for an individual, and perhaps stick with 1-2 attendings in an apprenticeship model. That can make an excellent tumor neurosurgeon who is awful at spine. It happens, I've seen it. In smaller programs the work has to be complete and there are only so few hands. That means every resident has to clip aneurysms and fuse spines through their chief year.

If you want to make it in academic neurosurgery, try to match at an academic program, and if you don't, you can pave a path forward if you want it.

Some large programs this cycle sold the specialization as a plus, like do what the ACGME requires and then you can focus on your specific interest. Others have firehose volume that will make you strong at anything. Very program specific

I will say that small programs seemed to place into better fellowships. I’m guessing that it’s easier to build relationships with attendings and have them go to bat for you in a smaller program.
(03-17-2021, 10:34 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 09:49 PM)Guest Wrote:

Some large programs this cycle sold the specialization as a plus, like do what the ACGME requires and then you can focus on your specific interest. Others have firehose volume that will make you strong at anything. Very program specific

I will say that small programs seemed to place into better fellowships. I’m guessing that it’s easier to build relationships with attendings and have them go to bat for you in a smaller program.

Alternative take is that the large vs. small programs train you for different careers and outcomes. If you go into community practice, you need to be much more of a well rounded generalist/spine surgeon than you would be permitted in a major academic practice - training is tailored accordingly. Regarding the more prestigious fellowship comment, I would say its more critical for the person from the small program to train at a prestigious place for fellowship compared to the person from a top tier program who can afford to be more picky about secondary concerns like location and personal preferences.
bump for 2021-2022

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)