Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs in this cycle
Can anyone comment on the southern programs?
(05-28-2021, 02:19 AM)Guest Wrote: Can anyone comment on the southern programs?

Assuming "Southern" = SEC country minus Texas. In terms of pedigree, I think Duke or Emory probably is considered the top, but Miami has definitely been moving up and is potentially earning more attention for grads w/ their huge social media presence. Duke is still their chair search (>1yr now) with no definitive selection, which is disturbing as an applicant.

Good OR experience: Miami/Jackson, Mayo (Jacksonville), Emory, Carolinas, +/- Vandy, UT/Semmes-Murphey
Interested in trauma: Emory, Miami/Jackson, UAB (has hosted SCI center for past ~20yr) 
interested in brain tumors/intra-axial: Duke > Miami/Jackson, UVA
Interested in skull base: UVA< Miami
Interested in functional: Duke, Emory
Interested in endovascular: Miami/Jackson (Peterson, Starke), Wake Forest (Quintero-Wolfe), +/- Florida, +/- Tennessee
Interested in open vascular: Florida (Brian Hoh), Miami/Jackson (morcos --> fellows though), Emory (Barrow); might see increase @ Tulane w/ Delashaw since his big issue at UC Irvine was stealing the vascular cases; USF has Van Loveren, but he's older and I think it's more of a fellow versus resident thing
Interested in spine: deformity = Duke, MIS = Miami (lots of fellows though), +/- Florida (Dan Hoh); decent degan @ Vandy; +/- UVA w/ Justin Smith (more of a fellow experience though and way weaker w/o Shaffrey)
Interested in peripheral nerve: Miami/Jackson (levi), +/- LSU (David Kline's former program)
Interested in getting published in Red journal: UNC (Oyesiku is chair); UVA
Intersted in clinical research: Vandy, Miami/Jackson
Interested in avoiding scut: Carolinas
Interested in private practice: Carolinas; UT/Semmes-Murphey

CAST fellowships --> check on https://sns-cast.org/cast-accredited-programs/

I think Miami is the only one w/ CAST-accredited fellowships in all of them; they also have PGY7 chief, which means that you could still do CAST after July 1st. Weakness is that the facilities at Jackson are old, you do a lot of scut as a junior, and there are a ton of post-grad fellows (open + endovascular, spine).
(05-28-2021, 11:44 AM)Guest Wrote:

Assuming "Southern" = SEC country minus Texas. In terms of pedigree, I think Duke or Emory probably is considered the top, but Miami has definitely been moving up and is potentially earning more attention for grads w/ their huge social media presence. Duke is still their chair search (>1yr now) with no definitive selection, which is disturbing as an applicant.

Good OR experience: Miami/Jackson, Mayo (Jacksonville), Emory, Carolinas, +/- Vandy, UT/Semmes-Murphey
Interested in trauma: Emory, Miami/Jackson, UAB (has hosted SCI center for past ~20yr) 
Interested in endovascular: Miami/Jackson (Peterson, Starke), Wake Forest (Quintero-Wolfe), +/- Florida, +/- Tennessee
Interested in open vascular: Florida (Brian Hoh), Miami/Jackson (morcos --> fellows though), Emory (Barrow); might see increase @ Tulane w/ Delashaw since his big issue at UC Irvine was stealing the vascular cases; USF has Van Loveren, but he's older and I think it's more of a fellow versus resident thing
Interested in spine: deformity = Duke, MIS = Miami (lots of fellows though), +/- Florida (Dan Hoh); decent degan @ Vandy; +/- UVA w/ Justin Smith (more of a fellow experience though and way weaker w/o Shaffrey)
Interested in peripheral nerve: Miami/Jackson (levi), +/- LSU (David Kline's former program)

I think Miami is the only one w/ CAST-accredited fellowships in all of them; they also have PGY7 chief, which means that you could still do CAST after July 1st. Weakness is that the facilities at Jackson are old, you do a lot of scut as a junior, and there are a ton of post-grad fellows (open + endovascular, spine).

Great summary, thank you!

I would take any big list like this with a grain of salt.  While there is surely some truth in it, and there are no doubt several great programs on this list, I don't think you can truly know what a program is like unless you at least did a month long rotation there.  So at most, I think one individual could speak accurately and confidently about 4 programs, counting three sub Is and their home program.  The more programs that are listed in a single post, the more likely there are to be inaccuracies in it somewhere in the post.  I am a current resident at Carolinas Medical Center, and I wanted to clarify a little bit about our program after reading this post, particularly since subIs are still limited this year.

Currently, every day our service has 6 main hospital ORs, 1 or 2 endovascular rooms, and 2 or 3 outpatient surgery center ORs across the street from the main hospital.  So thats usually 9 to 11 rooms running daily, with only 7 total residents, one of which will be off site for their elective year.  We have more rooms going every day than can be covered by residents, and we choose the best cases to cover daily.  We see the entire spectrum of cases, complex to routine for tumor, vascular, skull base, epilepsy, spine, peds, and trauma, and we see a lot of each of them since we have less residents to split the cases between.  

In terms of scut work, we have PAs on service that help shoulder a lot of the scut work, which does free us to be in the operating room more from day 1.  You still will have your share of scut work as a junior resident, you'll take a lot of call, and you'll work long hours, but you are well rewarded for it with opportunities in the OR and your time is well spent towards your growth as a surgeon and not as cheap labor.  It is a fun place to work.

Lastly, it is not true that you should only come to our program if you are interested in private practice.  We welcome both those interested in private practice and those interested in academics.  We have several faculty who are currently in major organized neurosurgery leadership positions and our faculty have trained at top institutions around the country.  There are plenty of connections to major academic institutions for fellowship and job options and plenty of clinical research opportunities to build an academic CV.  In addition, our 6th year is an elective year that can be used however you want towards your specific career goals.

If you are a medical student applying to neurosurgery this year and have any questions about Carolinas, please feel free to contact me at davidrpeters23@gmail.com.
(07-09-2021, 05:51 PM)Guest Wrote:

I would take any big list like this with a grain of salt.  While there is surely some truth in it, and there are no doubt several great programs on this list, I don't think you can truly know what a program is like unless you at least did a month long rotation there.  So at most, I think one individual could speak accurately and confidently about 4 programs, counting three sub Is and their home program.  The more programs that are listed in a single post, the more likely there are to be inaccuracies in it somewhere in the post.  I am a current resident at Carolinas Medical Center, and I wanted to clarify a little bit about our program after reading this post, particularly since subIs are still limited this year.

Currently, every day our service has 6 main hospital ORs, 1 or 2 endovascular rooms, and 2 or 3 outpatient surgery center ORs across the street from the main hospital.  So thats usually 9 to 11 rooms running daily, with only 7 total residents, one of which will be off site for their elective year.  We have more rooms going every day than can be covered by residents, and we choose the best cases to cover daily.  We see the entire spectrum of cases, complex to routine for tumor, vascular, skull base, epilepsy, spine, peds, and trauma, and we see a lot of each of them since we have less residents to split the cases between.  

In terms of scut work, we have PAs on service that help shoulder a lot of the scut work, which does free us to be in the operating room more from day 1.  You still will have your share of scut work as a junior resident, you'll take a lot of call, and you'll work long hours, but you are well rewarded for it with opportunities in the OR and your time is well spent towards your growth as a surgeon and not as cheap labor.  It is a fun place to work.

Lastly, it is not true that you should only come to our program if you are interested in private practice.  We welcome both those interested in private practice and those interested in academics.  We have several faculty who are currently in major organized neurosurgery leadership positions and our faculty have trained at top institutions around the country.  There are plenty of connections to major academic institutions for fellowship and job options and plenty of clinical research opportunities to build an academic CV.  In addition, our 6th year is an elective year that can be used however you want towards your specific career goals.

If you are a medical student applying to neurosurgery this year and have any questions about Carolinas, please feel free to contact me at davidrpeters23@gmail.com.

Programs to avoid: university of Louisville and University of Missouri
Bump for 2023-2024
Louisville still poop program!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)