Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs in this cycle
(03-26-2017, 05:40 PM)guest Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 01:54 PM)Guest Wrote: (+): Emory, Carolinas Medical Center, Vanderbilt

Can you elaborate on these three? This region interests me.

Same. Vanderbilt in particular has had a lot of mud slung about it on this forum--well, more on the last forum--but I've heard a lot had to do with the fact that don't give every sub-i an interview, which makes sense. I'd be disappointed after spending a month somewhere to not get an interview, but on the other hand they save you a lot of money traveling and at least you know where you stand. Is it really any worse than getting love letters and gift baskets from a program that ends up ranking you 10th? Also, IDK what your schools are like, but I had planned for a while on doing a Sub-I at Emory this year, and their dates could not conflict more with my schools M4 schedule if it were intentional. Shame. Hopefully I'll still hear from them come interview time...fingers crossed.
Positive: Barrow, Carolinas, Mayo, UT-Memphis
Negative: GW
(03-25-2017, 11:40 AM)Guest Wrote: positive: UCLA, UTSW, UNC, Emory, UT-Houston
negative: George Washington (wth was up with this interview day?!)

can you please elaborate about UT-Houston? I have been hearing very positive things about the program but it seems relatively new
Anyone want to comment for 2019-2020?
No one?
(04-04-2020, 03:00 AM)Guest Wrote: Anyone want to comment for 2019-2020?

UCSF, MGH, Brigham, NW, USC, UW, Duke, Mayo, Pitt
Are those positive or negative?
(04-05-2020, 04:32 PM)Guest Wrote: Are those positive or negative?

All positive for me
Thanks for the post!
All positives for me, in no particular order. I tried to jot some notes down during my interviews and/or second looks. A lot of really great programs out there and this is in no way comprehensive.

UCSF - Amazing balance of volume/autonomy and some of the best research in the country (especially in neuro-oncology). Incredible history of producing strong academic surgeons. One of the strongest academic groups in the country, with Aghi, Chang x 2, Manley, Mummaneni, etc. Really great opportunities to collaborate with some of the best med onc and vascular biology researchers there are. I really liked the residents overall and they raved about several of the attendings there like Hervey Jumper who really go out of their way for you.

BNI - May be the best operative program in the country. PGY-2s have their own room doing small cases. PGY-4s are splitting the fissure and throwing bypass sutures. Best of all, really great group of residents (anyone who interviews here can attest). Amazing lifestyle where seniors routinely leave at 5PM and can get days off whenever they need to. All in-house call is frontloaded. All scut basically gets done for you. Neurosurg residents run the show in the hospital and have a ton of perks like their own cafeteria with free food. Have internal grants where residents essentially can get multiple $80K awards to do whatever research they want. Innovation center where residents can get a substantial part of the IP. Has its own publishing group and editors who will do all the proofreading and submissions on your papers. All residents have 18 months to go operate anywhere in the country, with all malpractice and salary paid for.

Mayo - Thought the program is incredibly similar to Barrow, except it's tundra instead of desert. Really high-volume elective practice, with minimal floor work and BS. Really nice attendings who treat the residents well. Also some of the best autonomy I've seen. Have a mentorship model, where juniors work 1 on 1 with attendings for a few months at a time and get to do most of the cases once they get comfortable with them. Saw a PGY-5 do 2 CEAs skin to skin. Chiefs get a completely autonomous transition to practice year, with their own first-start OR, nurse, and secretary. Everyone hits their minimums by PGY-4 year and most of the chiefs graduate with 2,000+ cases. 2 free, fully-funded years to go anywhere in the country (or abroad) for an enfolded fellowship or additional degree. Residents have the opportunity to move one of these years to PGY-7 in order to get a CAST approved fellowship. Amazing lifestyle, like the BNI.

Wash U - Like UCSF, really well-balanced program. Huge depth of full professors in every subspecialty (Zipfel, Dacey, Limbrick, Chicoine, Leuthardt, etc.) 9 R0-1s in the department with a real commitment to academics. I didn't Sub-I or second look here so I'm not sure about the autonomy but my friends who did said that there's high volume and good autonomy in basically everything. Ireland experience where you essentially function like an attending. Graduates get really good fellowships and academic jobs and I liked everyone I met.

Miami - Very impressed. A lot of accomplished and high-volume faculty in every field (Levi, Wang, Morcos, Komotar, Peterson) with some really great younger guys like Bobby Starke and Mike Ivan. The Sub-I is definitely challenging hours-wise, but the lifestyle as a PGY-4 and up is actually great. Really liked the residents. Loved the camaraderie and how well the attendings/chiefs treated the juniors. 6 + 1 model for every resident, which guarantees you a top notch fellowship (Morcos in skull base, Komotar tumor, Mike Wang spine, Peterson/Starke endovascular (which you can enfold and be CAST accredited in 7)). Interns get every other weekend off. Chiefs get case preference over external fellows (of which there are many). Miami has a ton of things to do even for people who aren't big partiers. While there isn't as much basic science interest among the residents, they have a clinical research machine. Residents got a ton of autonomy, especially at Jackson.

USC - Really similar to Miami for me, with the warm weather, lots of county hospital exposure, and combination of great autonomy + clinical research. Basic science is definitely underemphasized, but the program does have an R25 for the residents who are interested. Chiefs completely run the show at county, and juniors routinely do cases on call and alone. Lots of really great faculty, like Bill Mack in vascular, Zada in skull base, and Giannotta (although he is stepping down in a few years). Really great group of residents and camaraderie.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)