Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
single payer
will a single payer healthcare system drive down neurosurgery wages? With all the current hype about medicare for all it seems like it will be implemented sometime in the near future, which has me wondering how our compensation may be affected...
(07-26-2019, 07:07 PM)Guest Wrote: will a single payer healthcare system drive down neurosurgery wages? With all the current hype about medicare for all it seems like it will be implemented sometime in the near future, which has me wondering how our compensation may be affected...

There is a reason all these European neurosurgeons come for fellowship in the US and do not want to return after they are done.
Yes but what will happen with our salaries if sanders wins and implements a healthcare for all?
Lol sanders won’t win
Ok, but hypothetically speaking, if there is a Medicare for all system implemented into the US what affect would that have on Neurosurgeons salaries? Would I go up or down? By how much? What would the new salary be?
(07-27-2019, 02:35 PM)Guest Wrote: Ok, but hypothetically speaking, if there is a Medicare for all system implemented into the US what affect would that have on Neurosurgeons salaries? Would I go up or down? By how much? What would the new salary be?

What do you expect for an answer - you think someone has a crystal ball? The US health system is one of the most complex systems in economics. Simply put, universal health systems pay surgeons less. 

What would that new salary be? 15$ an hour. Go jump in a lake.
Would we be making less than 400k a year?
this is impossible to predict or provide any kind of estimate whatsoever
Why so? What would differ from now if we moved to a si for payer system
(07-27-2019, 02:35 PM)Guest Wrote: Ok, but hypothetically speaking, if there is a Medicare for all system implemented into the US what affect would that have on Neurosurgeons salaries? Would I go up or down? By how much? What would the new salary be?

Is this a serious question? Look at the mean salaries of neurosurgeons in every other country except the US. In the UK you're looking at 160K in the public sector with an opportunity to potentially earn 100K more if you work double time at a private hospital. Average salaries in Canada are in the low 300s. The difference from private sector insurance is that "Medicare for all" inherently reimburses Medicare/Medicaid rates for every single procedure. In addition, due to the ballooning costs of universal coverage/payments, the government inevitably cuts those reimbursements even more to save money.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)