Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is Northwell/Hofstra's Sub I experience?
Hi,

Applying next year, and looking to stay in nyc area.  Don't think I have a shot at Columbia or Cornell, and looking at other programs in the area. What do you guys think about Northwell? Anyone do SubI there recently? Wanna share your thoughts?
anyone?
I did a Sub-I there about 5 years ago. Great experience. Didn’t match there, but would have been happy to do so. Smart attendings, hard working residents, good and diverse operative volume. It was time well spent from a student perspective. The senior faculty at the time had a good vision for development of the program, and were implementing it successfully from what I could tell as a student, and I’ve heard positive things from interacting with their residents at courses and such. Time was mostly spent on the OR, there was an overnight call required every 3 nights or so. Very nice educational days on Thursdays too, covering relevant topics (I remember having one on SRS, and one on pituitary tumors). No scut that I can recall.

I obviously cant speak to what the experience is like now, but I would look into it further and consider it
Rotated 2-3 years ago, generally the most hands on of my subi's, got to at least open and close with the senior most cases and had very little if any scut that I had to do. Split overnight call with the other subi's and was on every 3rd or 4th night with a true post call day. Residents were great and very personable and generally would treat you like a human being which was a nice change.

It's skewed towards spine by volume but had a good mix of cranial cases.

Its obviously not as prestigious as the historic NYC places but I felt the residents were very well trained for their level, didn't hate their lives, and had a big health system with big catchment area. I imagine it'll continue to grow.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)