Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Question about likelihood of matching.
You got this. Dont' let anything stop you.
I would highly recommend reaching out to the program director your home neurosurgery program or a local one. Contact one DO program's program director and one MD program's program director. Ask to meet with them and send them your CV. They will have a much better idea of your chances and provide you with more realistic feedback.
".......SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE"
(07-29-2019, 10:36 PM)uncle_herniation Wrote: Thank you everyone for the replies so far. I understand that nobody can know for sure but it helps to hear opinions regardless of what they are. I’m not one to be discouraged or turned away from something I want, so I’m going to continue to work with what I have and do my best from here on out. Hopefully I’ll find someone who’ll be satisfied enough with my work ethic to give me my dream job.

Good luck to everyone going through this year’s cycle!

I wouldn’t listen to what any of these fucktards told you. Apply man. Look at the 2018 match stats, 2 US seniors got accepted to neurosurgery with scores between 201 and 210... 6 got in with scores between 210 and 220. Will it be easy? Likely no. But then again, maybe it will. It only takes one acceptance. I remember when some dipshit on this website posted an excel sheet asking everyone to populate their scores. It was full of 260s when in reality the majority of the nsgy match is not made of 260s (nor is it made up of 205s). The people posting there are doing it to brag and the people telling you not to apply just want one less body to compete with in the match. I matched with an above average score. My co-resident was in a similar boat to you - (though he was MD), and he also matched.  Jokes on me. So fuck these people on this forum. I say you apply, take the chance, and see what happens.
(07-31-2019, 05:29 PM)MuDPhuD Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 10:36 PM)uncle_herniation Wrote: Thank you everyone for the replies so far. I understand that nobody can know for sure but it helps to hear opinions regardless of what they are. I’m not one to be discouraged or turned away from something I want, so I’m going to continue to work with what I have and do my best from here on out. Hopefully I’ll find someone who’ll be satisfied enough with my work ethic to give me my dream job.

Good luck to everyone going through this year’s cycle!

I wouldn’t listen to what any of these fucktards told you. Apply man. Look at the 2018 match stats, 2 US seniors got accepted to neurosurgery with scores between 201 and 210... 6 got in with scores between 210 and 220. Will it be easy? Likely no. But then again, maybe it will. It only takes one acceptance. I remember when some dipshit on this website posted an excel sheet asking everyone to populate their scores. It was full of 260s when in reality the majority of the nsgy match is not made of 260s (nor is it made up of 205s). The people posting there are doing it to brag and the people telling you not to apply just want one less body to compete with in the match. I matched with an above average score. My co-resident was in a similar boat to you - (though he was MD), and he also matched.  Jokes on me. So fuck these people on this forum. I say you apply, take the chance, and see what happens.

I would disagree, unfortunately the vast majority of programs would not even consider or interview a DO. Even if he had a 260 the odds would not be in his favor. Furthermore, with a score in that range, its concerning for the program if you are going to struggle with passing boards. You can be highly successful outside of neurosurgery in another specialty that is DO friendly and more forgiving.
As a DO your best shot is a low tier SUBI. I can personally attest that there are a number of programs that get few to no subI’s where if they like you, you stand a really good chance of making it in
(07-31-2019, 09:40 PM)Guest Wrote: As a DO your best shot is a low tier SUBI. I can personally attest that there are a number of programs that get few to no subI’s where if they like you, you stand a really good chance of making it in

Which programs?
Up for you to uncover based on what fits your interests and application.
You need to double apply man. I wish you the best of luck but you're a high risk applicant.
Hi, will I be able to match with a 208. MD PhD at a top 20 school and 2 papers( CNS journals)

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)