Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working hours in private practise / academic
Man everyone is so mean to one another on this forum. I gave the original answer, and I stand by it; but there's no reason to shit on someone for confirming a previous answer--I get that it seems overwhelming if you aren't necessarily sure of what to expect of NS. Also, this is just what I've seen at my med school's hospital and with talking to some of the attendings and residents. My PI (an attending) works probably 12-13 hour days between all the meetings on top of 2 days of clinic and OR. He also somehow finds the time to be an kind and compassionate clinician and mentor; y'all should learn a lesson from that.
(04-26-2017, 03:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Man everyone is so mean to one another on this forum. I gave the original answer, and I stand by it; but there's no reason to shit on someone for confirming a previous answer--I get that it seems overwhelming if you aren't necessarily sure of what to expect of NS. Also, this is just what I've seen at my med school's hospital and with talking to some of the attendings and residents. My PI (an attending) works probably 12-13 hour days between all the meetings on top of 2 days of clinic and OR. He also somehow finds the time to be an kind and compassionate clinician and mentor; y'all should learn a lesson from that.

Love this post, one of the main reasons I'm going into neurosurgery is because of people like this in the field. I've had the pleasure to have mentors who are incredibly busy with their clinical/admin/research responsibilities but always find time for me. It's made me appreciate the passion this field takes. Anonymous board forums doesn't is such a lame platform to try and act tough.
(04-27-2017, 07:07 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 03:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Man everyone is so mean to one another on this forum. I gave the original answer, and I stand by it; but there's no reason to shit on someone for confirming a previous answer--I get that it seems overwhelming if you aren't necessarily sure of what to expect of NS. Also, this is just what I've seen at my med school's hospital and with talking to some of the attendings and residents. My PI (an attending) works probably 12-13 hour days between all the meetings on top of 2 days of clinic and OR. He also somehow finds the time to be an kind and compassionate clinician and mentor; y'all should learn a lesson from that.

Love this post, one of the main reasons I'm going into neurosurgery is because of people like this in the field. I've had the pleasure to have mentors who are incredibly busy with their clinical/admin/research responsibilities but always find time for me. It's made me appreciate the passion this field takes. Anonymous board forums doesn't is such a lame platform to try and act tough.

These two posts demonstrate an important quality that unfortunately many med students miss when picking their specialty. The surgeons that they reference are surgeons who want to do this. This is not just a job to them, rather, this is who they are. During the course of the day they don't think about 5 o'clock. They think about saving this patient's life then going back to the lab to advance their research and then trying to find 15 minutes to spend with the impressionable sub-i med student to make sure that he or she takes away a positive impression from this experience, etc., etc. Think about an elite athlete like LeBron James or any other top pro. These guys start in the gym hours before team practice starts. Then they hit the court or field to practice other skills and stay long after everybody else has gone home. And when they get home, they review the plays, answer fan letters, work on their diet, nurse their injuries, etc. Because this is their passion.
(04-27-2017, 08:26 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-27-2017, 07:07 AM)Guest Wrote:

These two posts demonstrate an important quality that unfortunately many med students miss when picking their specialty. The surgeons that they reference are surgeons who want to do this. This is not just a job to them, rather, this is who they are. During the course of the day they don't think about 5 o'clock. They think about saving this patient's life then going back to the lab to advance their research and then trying to find 15 minutes to spend with the impressionable sub-i med student to make sure that he or she takes away a positive impression from this experience, etc., etc. Think about an elite athlete like LeBron James or any other top pro. These guys start in the gym hours before team practice starts. Then they hit the court or field to practice other skills and stay long after everybody else has gone home. And when they get home, they review the plays, answer fan letters, work on their diet, nurse their injuries, etc. Because this is their passion.

Great post

I'm an internet tough guy though.  I'll shit on whatever I want
(04-27-2017, 03:36 PM)Lol Wrote:

I'm an internet tough guy though.  I'll shit on whatever I want

We get you man. Can anyone recommend a good Micro Andrologist to internet tough guy here?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)