Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019-2020 Match Megathread!
Def at least a few kids from last cycle with >60
(09-10-2019, 03:47 AM)Guest Wrote: Def at least a few kids from last cycle with >60

Is that number including posters and short clinical papers? I think a lot of the publication numbers thrown around here are quite misleading. I think the only publications that really hold significant weight in the match are basic science articles in Q1 journals. Yes, the rare clinical paper may be significant but anyone with a pulse can publish case reports. Multiple first author basic science pubs demonstrate a serious commitment to research. I find it quite hard to believe that many medical students have more than 20 or even 10 basic science papers anyway. Let's stop obsessing over the raw number of "publications" and focus on quality. Is someone with 20 papers really any better than someone with 5 or 10? It's sad to see research being reduced to a CV building competition rather than a vital component to the future of neurosurgery.
(09-10-2019, 11:08 AM)Guest Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 03:47 AM)Guest Wrote: Def at least a few kids from last cycle with >60

Is that number including posters and short clinical papers? I think a lot of the publication numbers thrown around here are quite misleading. I think the only publications that really hold significant weight in the match are basic science articles in Q1 journals. Yes, the rare clinical paper may be significant but anyone with a pulse can publish case reports. Multiple first author basic science pubs demonstrate a serious commitment to research. I find it quite hard to believe that many medical students have more than 20 or even 10 basic science papers anyway. Let's stop obsessing over the raw number of "publications" and focus on quality. Is someone with 20 papers really any better than someone with 5 or 10? It's sad to see research being reduced to a CV building competition rather than a vital component to the future of neurosurgery.

seems like you are one of those with 5 pubs. Just purely butt hurt!
You should be able to publish a few clinical papers if you say its that easy even if your focus is basic science
Why the emphasis on basic science? Very few neurosurgeons, even in academics, are involved in bench research ...
(09-11-2019, 02:49 PM)Guest Wrote: Why the emphasis on basic science?  Very few neurosurgeons, even in academics, are involved in bench research ...

the qualities that make you successful at basic science are critical qualities to have as a resident
HHMI/Sarnoff/NIH fellowship vs MD PhD. Sre the former still streated highly even though they aren't MD PhD?
(09-11-2019, 02:49 PM)Guest Wrote: Why the emphasis on basic science?  Very few neurosurgeons, even in academics, are involved in bench research ...

The top academic neurosurgeons all maintain R01 level basic science programs. Whether these labs function at the same level as a PhD-run labs is debatable but I think enough top-tier neurosurgeon PI exist to prove that it is possible.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)