Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open PGY3/4 neurosurgery residency positions
(06-22-2020, 08:24 PM)Guest Wrote: Definitely possible, but usually there's only so much neck extending the program will do to give someone a second chance. Going to bat with their GME official to fill a spot where they need call coverage, sure. I think expanding the complement is more difficult - not only does the ACGME have to approve it (probably not THAT big of a deal), but then the institutional GME office or the department has to come up with the extra funds for however long you're there for.

*Disclaimer - not a PD, this is purely informed speculation.

thank you so much for one of the most thought-out, clear, and effective responses I have read on this site !
Why would a program not fill a spot? Some who have an open spot chose to keep it that way, you would figure all the call help and man/woman power would be favorable.
(06-22-2020, 09:22 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 08:24 PM)Guest Wrote: Definitely possible, but usually there's only so much neck extending the program will do to give someone a second chance. Going to bat with their GME official to fill a spot where they need call coverage, sure. I think expanding the complement is more difficult - not only does the ACGME have to approve it (probably not THAT big of a deal), but then the institutional GME office or the department has to come up with the extra funds for however long you're there for.

*Disclaimer - not a PD, this is purely informed speculation.

thank you so much for one of the most thought-out, clear, and effective responses I have read on this site !

Thanks, unfortunately that perspective is born from significant personal experience, haha.

As to the next poster, the bottom line is that we're damaged goods until proven otherwise. If you're honest with yourself (which may be difficult for many people in our position), something abnormal happened for your program to go through the trouble of getting you out. Most programs would rather play man down than potentially invite a cancer into their program. You don't have to like it, agree with it, or believe it, but that's the reality of it.

Also, few programs actually NEED people that badly, the reality is, if they did they would've immediately looked for someone to fill the spot.

*Also sorry, I just assumed you were looking for a position based on what you posted, if not, sorry for the assumption!
Yes, but what about my 1 year unaccredited fellowship experience. Did well in it with positive letter. That shows a year of improvement! I would think that would be a positive to a program and assurance you are okay in a different environment.
(06-23-2020, 02:33 AM)Guest Wrote: Yes, but what about my 1 year unaccredited fellowship experience.  Did well in it with positive letter.  That shows a year of improvement!  I would think that would be a positive to a program and assurance you are okay in a different environment.

no, it doesn't.
(06-23-2020, 07:38 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 02:33 AM)Guest Wrote: Yes, but what about my 1 year unaccredited fellowship experience.  Did well in it with positive letter.  That shows a year of improvement!  I would think that would be a positive to a program and assurance you are okay in a different environment.

no, it doesn't.

Disagree with above. Yes, fundamentally I agree with the original poster - A year in a neutral environment can be helpful. Ultimately it depends on your specific circumstances as well as how 'backed' you are by your home program. If they're calling in personal favors, making the phone calls, and providing the assurances that whatever led to your departure was a fluke or that you've demonstrated significant improvements, then maybe you'll find a place willing to take a chance on you. Unfortunately for most, I feel like whatever got them let go in the first place is probably not counter-actable by one year of good behavior. Again, I have no inside information, this is just based on what I've encountered and what other people in similar situations have encountered.
Wow. That's like black mailing. If successful in other things.
Anything available for non-fired people?
(06-24-2020, 07:43 AM)Guest Wrote: Anything available for non-fired people?

Yeah, it’s the match
What does someone do with 100s thousands in debt after they left residency? I applied to EM they won’t take me. Other residencies won’t take in neurosurgery.. My chairman/PD said they wrote positive letters. What do I do from here? Life is about to not be good.

Can I do anything to show I improved? Which honestly is all political what happened, j was more than competent as other attendings have backed me up. What does one do to make money? What does one do to get back in neurosurgery? I will not quit, even if it takes 20 years of reapplying. Follow your passion.

What happens if you can’t repay student or private loans? Big depression is gonna start if can’t recover.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)