Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSPE
what's the deal with MSPEs? Do program care about them?
According to the Program Directory Survey that the NRMP generates every year, it's like the 4th item down the list after Step 1 score, LoRs, and pubs. I suppose they would just want to know that you're not in the bottom 25% of your class and got a few honors/high passes.
Not important for interview invites. May glance over to look for red-flag comments but overall will not make or break your app.
(09-18-2019, 05:18 PM)xxxTentorium Wrote: According to the Program Directory Survey that the NRMP generates every year, it's like the 4th item down the list after Step 1 score, LoRs, and pubs. I suppose they would just want to know that you're not in the bottom 25% of your class and got a few honors/high passes.

wouldn't grades be on your transcript anyway? Also, how are transcripts uploaded? i'm assuming its not standardized but just whatever the school does for transcripts?
(09-25-2019, 12:06 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-18-2019, 05:18 PM)xxxTentorium Wrote: According to the Program Directory Survey that the NRMP generates every year, it's like the 4th item down the list after Step 1 score, LoRs, and pubs. I suppose they would just want to know that you're not in the bottom 25% of your class and got a few honors/high passes.

wouldn't grades be on your transcript anyway? Also, how are transcripts uploaded? i'm assuming its not standardized but just whatever the school does for transcripts?

Not necessarily. Every school has a different transcript. Some schools just list the courses you took with no mention of grade received. Others list categories of grade (e.g. pass, high pass, honors) or the actual grade itself (e.g. 96% in the Reproductive Disorders block).

The MSPE (Dean's Letter) goes pretty in depth taking into account competency areas e.g. patient care, professionalism, medical knowledge, etc. It also has a few comments related to your performance in core clerkships (3rd year) from feedback/evaluations.

It's my general understanding that transcripts aren't particularly useful to program directors. It's just a document saying that you went to med school and did med school stuff. Would be interested to hear other thoughts/ideas.
MSPE not important. Maybe an occasional faculty member will look at it for red-flag comments.
what's are examples of red flags that are on a mspe?
(09-26-2019, 04:05 AM)Guest Wrote: what's are examples of red flags that are on a mspe?

Blatant comments such as unmotivated, lazy, etc.
highly doubt any school would write that for their student.
(09-26-2019, 07:53 AM)Guest Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 04:05 AM)Guest Wrote: what's are examples of red flags that are on a mspe?

Blatant comments such as unmotivated, lazy, etc.

Does this actually happen?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)