Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which (if any) programs require 4 letters?
I've heard other specialty programs can have variable requirements for LOR's (some require ONLY 3, others require 4 as a minimum). Are there any neurosurgery residency programs like that?
Not that I know of. If you have <4 letters by the time you submit ERAS (due to whatever reason e.g. outstanding SubI), then you can just assign the additional letters as they come in and ERAS gets updated. PDs should get an email from ERAS saying that you have added a letter to your application (can anyone confirm?)
(09-23-2019, 08:23 AM)xxxTentorium Wrote: Not that I know of. If you have <4 letters by the time you submit ERAS (due to whatever reason e.g. outstanding SubI), then you can just assign the additional letters as they come in and ERAS gets updated. PDs should get an email from ERAS saying that you have added a letter to your application (can anyone confirm?)

I was in that exact position. Letter number 4 from my last subi came in after eras was submitted. I'm assuming that programs will redownload the applications when the mspe becomes available and will get the final letter at that time if not sooner.
I am a program coordinator. Your applications are automatically updated with new items such as LoRs, MSPE, updated USMLE reports if you submit with Step 2, etc...
Many programs review applications online any way and don't "download" them until closer to actual interview time. But regardless all programs make sure they have up to date applications at decision times and especially at the time of interviews.
(09-24-2019, 09:40 AM)nsCoordinator Wrote: I am a program coordinator.  Your applications are automatically updated with new items such as LoRs, MSPE, updated USMLE reports if you submit with Step 2, etc...
Many programs review applications online any way and don't "download" them until closer to actual interview time.  But regardless all programs make sure they have up to date applications at decision times and especially at the time of interviews.

thank you for this information - very helpful. 

Can you give some broad strokes info on how invites are decided? is it mostly just glancing at things like scores, # of pubs, location, etc.? I'm assuming most people do not read letters or transcripts prior to deciding on interviews?
(09-24-2019, 09:40 AM)nsCoordinator Wrote: I am a program coordinator.  Your applications are automatically updated with new items such as LoRs, MSPE, updated USMLE reports if you submit with Step 2, etc...
Many programs review applications online any way and don't "download" them until closer to actual interview time.  But regardless all programs make sure they have up to date applications at decision times and especially at the time of interviews.

If I just now uploaded a third LOR from an away rotation, 10 days after original application submission, should I email program coordinators to let them know about the additional letter? I fear having been filtered out for having only two LORs for many of the programs that have already started looking through applications and making decisions for interview invitations. I appreciate any advise you could give.
I understand the desire for applicants to know the process programs go through and what they can do to make sure to get an interview. However, every program is unique and there is not an answer that applies to every program and every applicant. Some programs do look at full applications, or at least at letters of recommendation, during the interview selection process. Others just use the information that can be filtered. The number of good applicants that we could invite is always larger than the number of interviews we can actually give. The decision is difficult but programs do spend a lot of time and effort to try and make the best decisions. Remember, we are looking at hundreds of applications to invite 25-50 applicants to interview and ultimately match between 1 and 4 residents.

Also, in most cases it cannot hurt to send an email to the coordinators letting them know that an additional letter (or other information) is now in your application. Be polite and professional and understand you may not get a reply for those types of informational emails.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)