Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chairs Shuffling
(03-28-2020, 01:17 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 06:14 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 01:30 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 10:48 PM)Guest Wrote: Who cares. Live and let live

It's relevant for students who were considering UCSD prior but now are unsure if it'll be a good training environment

Not a fan of Khalessi. Stay clear of him. He’s not a man of his word. He called me a few days before rank lists were due convincing me to come to San Diego and how I am being ranked to match and going on about how much they want me and how I’d do great. I ended up ranking them in my top 5 after that call. Low and behold I end up matching at my #10. Such a Bs person. The new program director is pretty clueless too. I wouldn’t recommend UCSD. Their leadership is poor.

This just sounds like you are bitter - clearly you liked it enough to rank it top 5

I liked the program that was largely developed by Carter. Leadership is not honorable so yes not a fan of new leadership
(03-28-2020, 04:21 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 01:17 PM)Guest Wrote:

It's relevant for students who were considering UCSD prior but now are unsure if it'll be a good training environment

Not a fan of Khalessi. Stay clear of him. He’s not a man of his word. He called me a few days before rank lists were due convincing me to come to San Diego and how I am being ranked to match and going on about how much they want me and how I’d do great. I ended up ranking them in my top 5 after that call. Low and behold I end up matching at my #10. Such a Bs person. The new program director is pretty clueless too. I wouldn’t recommend UCSD. Their leadership is poor.

This just sounds like you are bitter - clearly you liked it enough to rank it top 5

I liked the program that was largely developed by Carter. Leadership is not honorable so yes not a fan of new leadership
Where does MGH stand overall with Carter in charge?
MGH is MGH. It’s one of those programs that’s not made by the chair. It’s the overall faculty. Same with places like UCSF and Brigham
(03-28-2020, 07:30 PM)Guest Wrote: MGH is MGH. It’s one of those programs that’s not made by the chair. It’s the overall faculty. Same with places like UCSF and Brigham

Except at Brigham, the chair turned the program around for the better.
(03-29-2020, 11:38 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 07:30 PM)Guest Wrote: MGH is MGH. It’s one of those programs that’s not made by the chair. It’s the overall faculty. Same with places like UCSF and Brigham

Is Brigham better than MGH?
(03-29-2020, 02:23 PM)Guest Wrote:

Depends. MGH selecting and producing more basic science research stars, BWH with more case complexity/operative experience. Very different personalities/environments at these programs, though from interviews both seem friendly. MGH ranked higher right now in the research rankings.
(03-29-2020, 02:30 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 02:23 PM)Guest Wrote:

Depends. MGH selecting and producing more basic science research stars, BWH with more case complexity/operative experience. Very different personalities/environments at these programs, though from interviews both seem friendly. MGH ranked higher right now in the research rankings.

Where does MGH stand in terms of best programs in the country?

A new chairman breaking ACGME rules, using words like "ranked to match" which used to be used by medicine programs ages ago and literally no neurosurgeon would actually say, actually interviewing this idiot poster, ...all seems a bit far fetched.  Could this be the return of the serial UCSD hater?
(03-29-2020, 08:36 PM)Guest Wrote:

A new chairman breaking ACGME rules, using words like "ranked to match" which used to be used by medicine programs ages ago and literally no neurosurgeon would actually say, actually interviewing this idiot poster, ...all seems a bit far fetched.  Could this be the return of the serial UCSD hater?

"Return"? 50% of recent posts have been people talking crap about UCSD. The other 50% is people talking nonsense about Barrow.
Valid points on either side. Unfortunately hierarchy in neurosurgery is based on research output which tends to follow established university rankings, troublesome a method as it might be.

It’s also unfortunately up to patients to choose their surgeons, and papers mean prestige and name recognition. However, a lot of patients are smart enough to choose based on recommendations from friends, in which case the experienced neurosurgeons efforts pay off.

In terms of a department it helps to have both. Some pushing our nascent field forward and others caring for more patients. Very rare to find folks that genuinely do both (hiring a PhD to run your lab and write your grants is usually, not always, the MO for those who claim to do both well)

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)